The College of Liberal Arts at Texas A&M University boasts several nationally-ranked graduate programs and the largest collegiate faculty on campus. You are sure to find a match for your interests as our faculty members are involved in various exciting research areas.
Centrally located among three of the nation's largest cities — Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio — College Station and its neighboring city of Bryan is a dynamic community with a population of approximately 133,000 people.
12 Departments, offering 21 graduate degrees (11 master's, 10 Ph.D.s)
Anthropology - M.A., Ph.D.
- Specializations- economic anthropology, nautical archaeology, peopling of the New World, physical anthropology
- Nautical archaeology— one of the world’s preeminent graduate programs
Communication - M.A., Ph.D.
- Specializations- health communication, organizational communication, political rhetoric, telecommunication media studies
- Supports new interdisciplinary initiatives in journalism education and the digital humanities
- Doctoral programs in organizational communication, health communication, communication & technology ranked in Top 10 in 2004 National Communication Association survey
Economics - M.S., Ph.D.
- Specializations- behavioral and experimental economics, econometrics, economic theory, industrial organization, international economics, labor economics, monetary and financial economics, public economics
- Houses the highly regarded Texas A&M Economic Research Laboratory, a human-subject laboratory for experiments in economic markets and decision making
- Doctoral program ranked 34th nationally by the National Research Council, 21st among public universities by U.S. News and World Report (2009), and 16th among public universities based on top journal publications (2003-08) by Center for Research at Tilburg University
English - M.A., Ph.D.
- Specializations - American and British literary and cultural studies; transnational literatures; rhetoric, composition, and discourse studies; creative writing; digital humanities
- Home to the award-winning World Shakespeare Bibliography and the top-tier journal of African Diaspora Arts and Letters, Callaloo
- Doctoral program ranked 36th nationally among public universities by U.S. News and World Report (2009).
Hispanic Studies - M.A., Ph.D.
- M.A. in Spanish; Ph.D. in Hispanic Studies
- Interdisciplinary Ph.D. program grounded in a solid knowledge of the language, culture, and literature of Spanish-speaking people permits students to integrate the subject matter of different disciplines into a course of study relevant to specific interests in the national and international Hispanic world
- Hispanic Studies Ph.D. administered with three A&M System schools- Texas A&M University-International, Texas A&M University-Kingsville, and Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
History - M.A., Ph.D.
- Specializations- comparative borders, diplomatic and military history, modern European history, modern U. S. history
- Doctoral program ranked 49th nationally among public universities by the U.S. News and World Report (2009).
Performance Studies - M.A.
- M.A. program explores the relationship between performance and culture, with special emphasis on the ethnographic study of vernacular practices
Philosophy and Humanities - M.A., Ph.D.
- Specializations- applied ethics, classical American philosophy, history of philosophy, logic, metaphysics, and philosophy of religion
- Ph.D. program includes unique requirement to earn a M.A. in another field that supplements the student's research and teaching interests within philosophy
Political Science - M.A., Ph.D.
- Specializations- American politics, comparative politics, international relations, political theory, public administration, public policy, and race & ethnic politics
- Doctoral program ranked 11th nationally among public universities by U.S. News and World Report (2009)
Psychology - M.S., Ph.D.
- Specializations- behavioral/neuroscience, industrial/organizational, clinical, cognitive, developmental, social psychology
- Ranked 47th nationally among public doctoral programs by US News & World Report (2009), Clinical Psychology Program ranked 6th nationally in clinical assessment research productivity in 2010, (Journal of Personality Assessment), I/O Program ranked 11th nationally in 2005 (The Industrial Organizational Psychologist)
Sociology - M.S., Ph.D.
- Specializations- culture, demography, deviance and criminology, political and economic sociology, racial and ethnic relations, social psychology
- Doctoral program ranked in the top 25th nationally among public universities by U.S. News and World Report (2009)