JBA Speed Shop pulls ahead

When it came time for James “J.” Bittle ‘78 to choose a career, he knew he wanted to take the road less traveled–he started an automotive parts and service company. While a connection between the automotive industry and the liberal arts isn’t obvious at first, Bittle says his time at the College of Liberal Arts was instrumental in the success of J. Bittle American, (JBA) Speed Shop located in San Diego, California.

By Allen Junek ‘18

“My early economics courses were instrumental in my understanding the law of supply and demand and its impact on running a business,” Bittle said. “I learned you could enjoy college courses, as I did my sociology, psychology, and English course work. All had a direct effect on my ability and interest to innovate, communicate, hire and compete as a young entrepreneur.”

Bittle’s fascination with the car industry began in 1967, when he saw A.J. Foyt’s last-minute victory at the Indianapolis 500. Almost 20 years later, in 1985, he established his speed shop  and now operates within a $44 billion automotive special equipment industry.

With California leading the nation in reduced smog emissions, JBA Speed Shop also led the way in new, innovative exhaust products that blend performance and reliability to adhere to state regulations. And because smog can lead to adverse health effects, Bittle’s leadership with JBA Shorty Header products under EO#D216 and long-standing compliance with the California Air Resource Board continues fulfilling the Aggie core value of selfless service.

Of course, none of this would have been possible if it weren’t for Bittle’s leadership and business acumen, which he credits his sociology degree and the Corps of Cadets discipline.

“Given the broad range of coursework, I graduated feeling very equipped for the job market,” Bittle said. “I could deal with my banker, supplier, customer, and employee all in the same day.”

In fact, along with his wife Vickie ‘80, whom he met while in the Aggie Band, and sons Austin ‘09 and Stewart ‘16, JBA is a family affair. This is reflective of Bittle’s business model, as he believes in prioritizing family values through his second-generation family business.

James Bittle (third from left) with family.

In total, Bittle has been in business for 40 years, and will continue to be for the years to come thanks to College of Liberal Arts that cultivated this strong spirit of entrepreneurship.  

“The liberal arts are the essence of humanity,” Bittle said. “Despite the sciences and mechanics that make the world work, it always comes back to mastering human interaction. So, from my standpoint as a business man, there is no better degree than a liberal arts degree.”

For more information on how you can impact students and faculty in your preferred area in the College of Liberal Arts, please contact Larry J. Walker II.