Former Student Spotlight: Making waves in Washington D.C.

Only three years after graduating, former student Alexis Mrachek '16 is already making waves in the capital of the United States. She shares about her foreign policy work with Russia and what helped to get her there.

By Alix Poth ’18

Only three years after graduating, former College of Liberal Arts student Alexis Mrachek ’16 is already making waves in the capital of the United States. 

Alexis Mrachek (left) on Aggie Ring Day.

Her days as a research assistant in Russian and Eurasian foreign policy at a think tank in Washington, D.C. are filled with analysis, research, and writing.  Just two years into living in the city, her writing has included op-ed pieces in publications such as The Dallas Morning News, The Washington Times, RealClearWorld, and The Los Angeles Times. 

But Mrachek is doing much more than that.

“My job also includes being interviewed on podcasts, radio, and television; meeting with foreign delegations; visiting the Eurasian region at least once a year to see firsthand the issues that I write on; and meeting with policymakers on Capitol Hill,” she said. “I never thought I would end up where I am today—having foreign ambassadors know me by name.”

Different cultures have always fascinated Mrachek, and, with the advice of her college advisor, she chose to focus on Russian to have marketable skills in one of the three critical languages of the world. While at Texas A&M, she studied abroad twice, first in Italy and then in St. Petersburg, Russia.

“My trips impacted me in countless ways—from learning to speak other languages, to learning cultural nuances and getting over culture shock,” she said. “Those experiences helped me realize the value of trying new things, taking risks and breaking out of my comfort zone.”

Mrachek (back left) meeting with the Georgian Minister of Defense last week in Tbilisi, Georgia in June 2019.

Mrachek meeting Dr. Henry Kissinger, former United States Secretary of State and National Security Advisor.

She attributes her quick success in D.C. to the education she received while studying International Studies in the College of Liberal Arts. There, she focused on the Global Cultural Studies track, which equipped her with a broader perspective of the world and demonstrated how to communicate more effectively and empathetically with other cultures. The wide variety of classes and range of views that professors offered on numerous topics sharpened her to be a well-prepared candidate for life in public policy. 

Mrachek with former U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and his wife Joyce.

“Alexis recently told me that without these requirements and advice, she likely would have chosen a much less marketable academic route,” Mrachek’s mom, Laura, wrote to President Young about Alexis’s achievements in D.C. “When I think about how much my 25-year-old daughter has achieved in the past three years, I know it’s largely due to the core values such as excellence and integrity that Texas A&M strives for in every endeavor.” 

“I believe it is very easy to ‘make it’ in D.C. with a liberal arts degree, since critical thinking is such a vital skill here,” Mrachek said. “Personally, my liberal arts degree helped in shaping my worldview, which is important for a career in foreign policy.”

Mrachek is currently attending graduate school in the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University. As she actively pursues work in foreign policy, this is only the beginning of a career with the potential of wide-reaching impact. 

“I believe that the liberal arts are just as valuable as an engineering or business degree, if not more so, especially if that person desires to work in Washington, D.C.,” she said. “Not only has my degree given me a valuable educational basis, but also interpersonal skills that I utilize daily. It’s multifaceted—and there is strong value in that.”

Learn more about Mrachek’s work or read other former student spotlights here