Freshman Innovation Group Blog: Fresh starts

Follow along with this new FIG blog this semester to learn what life looks like for our amazing first generation College of Liberal Arts students!

The College of Liberal Arts welcomes and celebrates first-generation students—the pioneers who are the first in their family to earn an undergraduate degree at a university.  Almost 30% of all liberal arts majors are first generation. The Freshman Innovation Group (FIG) is a college-specific program that provides incoming, first-generation freshmen a learning community involving a small network of faculty, advisors, and administrators in partnership with students. 

This new FIG blog gives an inside glimpse of what the college experience is actually like for first generation students. Follow along this semester to learn what life looks like for our amazing first generation College of Liberal Arts students!

Olivia Peralez 

Nap Time During the Day ? Where?

We all have those days where we desperately need a nap before a class but can’t make it all the way back home for it. The time has come for you to know the best napping spots here at Texas A&M University!

I normally love to sleep for about ten to fifteen minutes on the couches in the lobby of Rudder Auditorium. They are super comfortable and big enough to lay out in. Another good comfy spot is the Evans Library couches. Those are also very comfortable. I know the thought of sleeping in public doesn’t sound ideal, and it might be awkward at first, but once you do it, there is no going back. I promise you, you will become a professional at it. Just always remember to set a timer on your phone so you don’t sleep and miss class. Get as much rest and power naps as you can because right now is only the beginning. If you’re still feeling sleepy, make sure to grab some coffee from the Starbucks at Evans Library or at the MSC.

Daniela Guzman

Fish Camp

Fish Camp was officially my first college get-away experience. It was as if I was setting my toe in the ocean of adulthood. At first, I didn’t want to go because I’ve always been awkward at meeting new people. I was constantly bullied during middle school, and it left me scared since I can remember. The thought of not being liked by others and getting badly talked about kept crossing my mind, but my heart wanted a change. So I took a leap of faith, and joined session B of Fish Camp!

When I got there, they immediately spotted me, and took me under their wings. It was the greatest experience of my life! I opened up like I have never opened up before, and at the end of it, I came to a really important realization.

COLLEGE ALLOWS YOU TO START FRESH!

I was able to show my true personality, and people seemed to love me for it. I would always hide in the shadows of others to prevent myself from getting hurt, but in the few days that I was truly myself, I could already feel myself getting stronger. I am now in my sophomore year of college, and the people I met at Fish Camp are currently my best friends. We went through the best and worst times of freshman year, and we always supported each other no matter what. Fish Camp gifted me with my primary support system, life-lasting memories, and confidence that I thought I would never get back.