Freshman Innovation Group: Things to do in between classes

Follow along with this new FIG blog this semester to learn what life looks like for our amazing first generation College of Liberal Arts students!

The College of Liberal Arts welcomes and celebrates first-generation students—the pioneers who are the first in their family to earn an undergraduate degree at a university.  Almost 30% of all liberal arts majors are first generation. The Freshman Innovation Group (FIG) is a college-specific program that provides incoming, first-generation freshmen a learning community involving a small network of faculty, advisors, and administrators in partnership with students.

This new FIG blog gives an inside glimpse of what the college experience is actually like for first generation students. Follow along this semester to learn what life looks like for our amazing first generation College of Liberal Arts students!

Daniela Guzman

Relationships

Having social relationships in college is important. They are rewarding as they bring both emotional and physical health. Relationships give us emotional support for when we are missing home, or bring encouragement in difficult times. Friends help us relax, have fun, and make memories. Befriend people who make you feel good about yourself and who are kind to you.

It’s also never wrong to get comfortable hanging out by yourself! A healthy self-relationship is the ability to value yourself as a person and embrace your strengths and weaknesses. Having a relationship with gives you important insights on your life, and it also improves your relationships with others. So get out and make healthy relationships! Surround yourself with people that make you happy, and who make you strive for your goals. Thanks to my friends, I am healthy and happy, and I know I can always count on them on anything.

Olivia Peralez 

Things To Do In Between Classes 

This year is my first time living off campus and I have to commute back and forth from my apartment to campus. This saves me a lot of money, but I end up spending a lot of time on campus. I don’t have a dorm room to get back to in my free time, so I’ve gotten really good at using my time in between classes wisely, whether it’s to relax or to be productive. I thought I’d share a few ideas with you.

Let’s start with the most obvious thing: If you have 30 minutes in between classes, get some work done. The more you get done during the school day, the less you’ll have to do when you get home. I don’t have to do any homework or studying at home because I make sure to finish everything while I’m on campus.

Next, I would highly recommend eating a snack! It’s a nice way to keep your energy up. I always get snacks at Aggie Express when I forget to pack one. Aggie Express has it all — drinks, chips, fruit, and even ice cream. 

Thirdly, you can watch Netflix or YouTube to help you relax and give your brain a break. I do this a lot while I’m munching on something or eating lunch. It’s also beats boredom, especially on the bus. 

Fourthly, take a quick nap or a rest. I have mixed feelings about naps because I end up sleeping for a really long time, but lying down and reading always helps recharge me. And in college, no one will judge you for lying on the library floor or putting two couches together to lay on. We’ve all seen people do it!

Lastly, sit outside! The weather is so nice in the fall, and we have such a beautiful campus with tons of trees and benches to relax. Take a moment every now and then to close your eyes and feel the breeze and the cool air.  Enjoy 15 minutes outside before class, especially if it’s a windy fall day. I guarantee it’ll help you wake up. 

Read more of the FIG Blog posts here