An award for a (WISE) graduate student

An outstanding College of Liberal Arts graduate student was honored with the Ethel Ashworth-Tsutsui Memorial Award for her research, alongside other winners from various Colleges at Texas A&M.

The Ethel Ashworth-Tsutsui Memorial Awards in Research and Mentoring are presented by Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) each year to highlight extraordinary research and mentoring efforts by women on the Texas A&M campus. The awards are in honor and remembrance of Ethel Ashworth-Tsutsui, a longtime faculty member of the Texas A&M Department of Biochemistry/Biophysics. Winners receive a $500 monetary award, certificate, and plaque. 

Tabina Choudhury, a graduate student in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, is one of the recipients of the award in recognition of her research efforts. Her research studies ways to improve the clinical assessment of older adults with dementia, including identifying indicators of patient and caregiver outcomes. 

“I’m particularly interested in predicting which subsets of patients will decline the most over time so that we can identify them early on and provide them (and their caregivers) with the support they need,” said Choudhury. 

According to Choudhury, she believes her work is important because it touches nearly everyone, as we all have an older adult in our personal networks, whether it is a family member, coworker, or friend. 

“I hope with my work that I can contribute to ongoing efforts to make older adult care more effective and efficient, which is ultimately in all of our interests.”

Choudhury says she is honored to be a recipient of the award as it highlights the depth of talent, ingenuity, work ethic, and service that so many Aggie women in graduate studies embody. Furthermore, she is proud of the prestige found within the College of Liberal Arts. 

“I get to maintain my immersion in scientific learning and research while still being connected to the humanities,” she said. “Exposure to and appreciation for the liberal arts has made me a better scientist and clinician, and my training would have been lacking without it.”

The College of Liberal Arts congratulates her on the award.