Lexie Ford – August 2018

Texas A&M Department of Economics Amazing Student

August, 2018

fordName: Lexie Ford

Hometown: Garland, TX

High School: Garland HS

Degree objective: Bachelor of Science in Economics, Minor in Math and Statistics

Expected graduation: May 2019

University highlights, awards, scholarships: Craig & Galen Brown Scholar, National Merit Scholar, President’s Endowed Scholar, Dept. of ECON Svetozar Pejovich Scholarship + Other Miscellaneous scholarships

Clubs/Organizations I am (was) a part of: Women Helping Out Other People (WHOOP); Dallas FEDs Interns Community Service Chair

Current employment: Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas Intern (2 years), Development Sociology researcher, Academic Success Center TST math tutor, Hope International Adoption Agency

Family ties to Texas A&M: None

I chose to attend Texas A&M because…  Craig Brown, my scholarship donor, was so welcoming and convincing about the merits of A&M.

My favorite things to do on campus are… Walking around during good weather and petting dogs.

When I have free time, I like… To shop, eat, and go to concerts by Latino musicians

The craziest thing I’ve done is…  Impulse buy tickets to see Hamilton on Broadway.

My favorite place to study is… My room.

My favorite ECON professor is…  Dr. Sarah Zubiary

My favorite part of being an Economics student is…  The research and professional opportunities it has opened up for me.

If I could share an afternoon with anyone, I would love to share it with… Lin Manuel Miranda.

If I knew I could not fail, I would… Get my doctorate and work at the World Bank.

If money was not a consideration, I would love to… Travel and eat a lot of great food.

What is your passion and how are you committed to pursuing it? I’m passionate about people, in two quite different senses. I’m passionate about my family and my relationships. I also am passionate about making a positive impact on people’s lives in a broader sense through my work. I’m committed to listening to my heart and figuring out how I can best maximize my contribution to those two priorities. What exactly that looks like is to be determined.

After graduation, I plan to… Be a research assistant at one of the Federal Reserve Banks and then go to grad school, potentially for my PhD. I could see myself working for a nonprofit or government institution.

The one Texas A&M experience I will always remember is… Getting my Aggie ring. I was surprised by how much it meant to me. I was honored to receive this physical symbol of being part of the Aggie family.