Monika Gonzalez-Hermosillo – September 2019

Texas A&M Department of Economics Amazing Student

September, 2019

monikaName: Monika Gonzalez-Hermosillo

Hometown: Mexico City, Mexico

High School: German School of Mexico City

Degree objective: B.S. in Economics, M.S. in Economics with a concentration in Financial Economics

Expected graduation: May 2020

University highlights, awards, scholarships: Won SEC Championships 3 years in a row as a part of the Texas A&M Swimming and Diving Team, was named Honorable Mention All-American 3 times, won 4 gold and one bronze at the Central American Games in 2018, won a Bronze medal at the 2019 Pan American Games. Have been named to the Dean’s List all 6 semesters I have been at A&M. Named to the SEC Honor Roll all 3 years I have been part of the SEC. Named CSCAA Scholastic AllAmerican all 4 years of College.

Clubs/Organizations I am (was) a part of: Vice President of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), member of the International Business Association

Current employment: None at this time.

Family ties to Texas A&M: None – I am the first Aggie in my family.

I chose to attend Texas A&M because…  It was the best place for me to develop as a student, athlete and person, and it gave me all the necessary skills and resources to be reach my goals.

My favorite things to do on campus are…  Sit in the sun and people watch.

When I have free time, I like… Travel and discover new cool places with my friends.

The craziest thing I’ve done is…  Live in 4 different cities and 3 different countries.

My favorite place to study is… When I really need to get stuff done I go to the Medical Sciences Library.

My favorite ECON professor is…  Dr. Naufal!!! He made one of the hardest classes extremely enjoyable, and he truly cares about his students on a personal level.

My favorite part of being an Economics student is…  The diversity of people and professors I have come across with.

If I could share an afternoon with anyone, I would love to share it with…  Christine Lagarde.

If I knew I could not fail, I would…  Try to solve corruption in the Mexican Government.

If money was not a consideration, I would love to…  Travel the world.

What is your passion and how are you committed to pursuing it?  Swimming has been my passion for over a decade. My lifelong dream has been to make the Olympics, which I am currently training for.

After graduation, I plan to…  I hope to get a job in either a bank or a consulting firm.

The one Texas A&M experience I will always remember is…  Having the band come and play at my last home meet at Texas A&M.