Nicole Shirley – November 2019

Texas A&M Department of Economics Amazing Student

November, 2019

shirleyName: Nicole Shirley

Hometown: Nicole Shirley

High School: Cy-Fair High School

Degree objective: B.S. in Economics with a Minor in Business, M.S. in Economics

Expected graduation: May 2021

University highlights, awards, scholarships: Currently serve as Vice President of Women in Economics where I help lead other women in professional development while creating career and departmental opportunities for the organization. During my time as executive officer we have grown membership by 90%!

Clubs/Organizations I am (was) a part of: Aggie Gems, Vice-President of Women in Economics

Current employment: This past Summer I interned at AmRisc, which is an insurance company that focuses on catastrophe-driven exposures

Family ties to Texas A&M: My brother graduated in December of 2018.

I chose to attend Texas A&M because…  The first time I visited Texas A&M I knew it was a place I was going to call home. The core values and the traditions stood out to me the most, which every student represents and abides by those values.

My favorite things to do on campus are…  Sitting out by the pond at George Bush Library while I do homework or drink coffee.

When I have free time, I like… Workout, catch up with friends, or just relax!

The craziest thing I’ve done is…  Can’t think of anything too crazy, but once I booked a vacation one day in advance with no plans, it ended up being one of the most memorable vacations!

My favorite place to study is… Engineering building or by the pond at the George Bush Library.

My favorite ECON professor is…  Professor Edwardson or Professor Hoekstra, they both have helped me improve my economic skills and helped me think of economics in different perspectives. They took their lectures to the next level which guided me to understand how economics applies to everyday life.

My favorite part of being an Economics student is…  Being a Women in a male dominated major. As I am applying to full time jobs, being a woman with her Masters in Economics has set me apart from many of my candidates in a positive way.

If I could share an afternoon with anyone, I would love to share it with…  My Grandpa, he passed away when I was an infant. He raised 8 strong successful children and I would love to hear his wisdom and experiences.

If I knew I could not fail, I would…  Start up a business, not sure what it would consist of but I believe with my leadership skills and perseverance it would be successful.

If money was not a consideration, I would love to…  Travel the world and experience different cultures.

What is your passion and how are you committed to pursuing it?  Being the best possible version of myself, while influencing others to do the same. I am very driven in my academic studies and personal life, which has rubbed onto my friends and family. It is very rewarding seeing a friend or family member change their life in a positive way

After graduation, I plan to…  Go into the field of Real Estate.

The one Texas A&M experience I will always remember is…  The memories I have created with life long friends! College has been such a great experience and I cherish the memories that have came along with it.