Jacklyn Dhaemers – April 2020

Texas A&M Department of Economics Amazing Student

April, 2020

dhaemersName: Jacklyn Dhaemers

Hometown: San Antonio, TX

High School: Antonian College Preparatory High School

Degree objective: BS in Economics

Expected graduation: December 2020

University highlights, awards, scholarships: Service Chair for Aggie Outdoors, member of NSCS

Current employment: I currently work for The Kids Klub at Greens Prairie Elementary School as a Site Administrative Assistant where I manage accountability of our 100+ students, file documentation and records, and interact with the children and their parents. I also work as a tutor for Microeconomics in the Tutoring Lab.

Family ties to Texas A&M: I am the first of my family to attend Texas A&M.

I chose to attend Texas A&M because… I actually chose TAMU because I planned to attend vet school and I entered college as a Biomedical Sciences major. My plans have obviously changed, but I remain grateful I chose Texas A&M University!

My favorite things to do on campus are… A majority of my classes are in the Allen building so I really enjoy walking around the pond or eating my lunch at one of the outdoor tables.

When I have free time, I like… I like to get out of College Station with my friends and either go camping or take a quick day trip to a cool park to enjoy some outdoor time.

The craziest thing I’ve done is… Spring Break of my Sophomore year of college my friends and I planned a trip to the Grand Canyon. This is over a 17 hour drive but we had planned to split it up into two days, stopping in Albuquerque. It was already dark when we arrived in Albuquerque and we ate dinner at a local restaurant. When we were finished the two other people in my car and I started considering finishing the rest of the drive that night. After probably too short of a deliberation we decided to finish the drive in the complete dark and without a campsite to check into once we arrived. We got the Grand Canyon around 3am and slept in our car in freezing cold temperatures. It was an unforgettable experience and well worth it to get more time at such an amazing park.

My favorite place to study is… At my desk in my bedroom.

My favorite ECON professor is… Dr. Meer. I have never had a bad ECON professor and they are all great in their own ways but I have the best connection with Dr. Meer. He puts a lot of time and effort into getting to know and help his students and he is a great lecturer.

If I could share an afternoon with anyone, I would love to share it with… Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

If I knew I could not fail, I would… Learn at least 4 different languages.

If money was not a consideration, I would love to… Travel around the world and be able to immerse myself in other cultures. This is where learning other languages would play a vital role!

What is your passion and how are you committed to pursuing it? I have a passion for making the lives of others better. Ever since I was a young child, all of the different professions I have talked about going into have all had the common aspect of helping others. I am committed to holding myself to a high ethical standard and doing my best to think through all decisions that can affect people other than myself.

After graduation, I plan to… I still have a few different avenues I am pursuing, but whatever I end up doing I know I will work hard and be a valuable asset to my team.

The one Texas A&M experience I will always remember is… After going through three rounds of recruitment, finally getting my acceptance email from Aggie Outdoors my freshman year. I have been a part of this organization my whole college career and they have really become my extended family and lifelong friends.