Eliza Smith – November 2020

Texas A&M Department of Economics Amazing Student

November, 2020

SmithName: Eliza Smith

Hometown: Richmond, Texas

High School: Foster High School

Degree objective: B.S. in Economics, Master of Financial Management

Expected graduation: May 2022

University highlights, awards, scholarships: I was elected to the Leadership Board for Class 9 of the Commercial Banking Program, as well as Management Chair for Texas A&M Economics Society.

Clubs/Organizations I am (was) a part of: Texas A&M Economics Society, Commercial Banking Program, Delta Zeta, and Women in Economics.

Current employment: Over the summer I was a Credit Analyst Intern at Allegiance Bank. I’ve continued employment part time with Allegiance doing PPP Loan forgiveness, and drive for favor in my spare time.

Family ties to Texas A&M: My older brother and sister both graduated from A&M.

I chose to attend Texas A&M because… This was the only college I applied for! I love the small-town atmosphere where you’ll see someone you know everywhere you go. I fell in love with campus when visiting my siblings and I knew this was where I wanted to be.

My favorite things to do on campus are… Football games, tailgating, and studying with friends.

When I have free time, I like… I’ll either be taking my dog to lake Bryan, spending time with friends, or road tripping!

The craziest thing I’ve done is… I’ve been snorkeling and scuba diving with sharks twice.

My favorite place to study is… The 41st Cafe in Allen or Quadbucks. Somewhere quiet with coffee.

My favorite ECON professor is… Dr. Lindo! He’s the best at explaining complex theories and ideas. He’s always prepared with endless examples and explains everything 3 different ways for different learning styles.

My favorite part of being an Economics student is… The students, advisors, professors, and especially the TA’s. Everyone is always willing to help no matter what.

If I could share an afternoon with anyone, I would love to share it with… Janet Yellen or Abraham Lincoln.

If I knew I could not fail, I would… I would get my PhD in Economics, work for the FED, and be appointed as Chairman of the Federal Reserve.

If money was not a consideration, I would love to… If money didn’t matter I would be a race car driver and/or tornado chaser.

What is your passion and how are you committed to pursuing it? I will go out of my way to help anyone succeed. Through education, leadership, and encouragement, I want to help people find their passion. I wouldn’t be where I am today without my high school teachers, Professors, or mentors and I want to be able to help our future generations.

After graduation, I plan to… I’ll be working in Commercial Banking in the DFW area.

The one Texas A&M experience I will always remember is… When it snowed December 2017 the night before finals. My roommate and I joined a giant snowball fight and then met up with friends to walk around campus. We ended the night at the bonfire memorial and I’ll never forgot how peaceful and beautiful campus looked. (Also, Hurricane Harvey and our Spring Break that never ended).