James Lovell – March 2021

Get to know our most recent Amazing Economics Student! You can always see previous students by clicking the "More Amazing Students" link below.

Texas A&M Department of Economics Amazing Student
March 2021

lovellName:

James Lovell

Hometown:

Vancouver, Canada

High School:

Homeschool

Degree objective:

B.A. in Economics

Expected graduation:

May 2021

University highlights, awards, scholarships:

White House Internship, Hoover Institution at Stanford University Summer Policy Program, Diverse Economics Conference at Richmond Federal Reserve, Professor Svetozar Pejovich Future Leaders Scholarship.

Clubs/Organizations I am (was) a part of:

Texas A&M Economic Society, Aggie Investment Club, Texas A&M College Republicans, Texas A&M Pistol Team.

Current employment:

I recently finished up my job as a campaign staffer for Senator John Cornyn’s re-election campaign. I used what I learned in my economics classes about excel to assist the data team and I also traveled over 2,000 miles across Texas doing advance work for the Senators bus tour.

Family ties to Texas A&M:

One of my older brothers and one of my older sisters went to Texas A&M!

I chose to attend Texas A&M because…

My brother and sister had such a great experience here, and I knew the alumni network was stronger than any other university.

My favorite things to do on campus are…

Honestly just exploring. We have such an expansive, historic campus that is just fascinating to explore and see all its nooks and crannies.

When I have free time, I like…

I enjoy film photography and traveling!

The craziest thing I’ve done is…

I found a $1.99 round trip bus ticket to New York City from Washington DC (where I was living at the time) so I went on a 28 hour solo day trip to the city. I was awake for over 36 hours!

My favorite place to study is…

Weirdly enough, my favorite study spot is the tiny windowless study rooms in Evans Library. It’s not the most fun place to study, but there is absolutely no stimulus to distract me, so I study very effectively there.

My favorite ECON professor is…

Dr. Maness! He has so much real-world experience and I’ve gotten a real kick out of hearing anecdotes from his career that relate to class.

My favorite part of being an Economics student is…

The diversity of classes is appealing to me. There are so many interesting subjects within economics, plus we are in the college of liberal arts, so I get to take cool English and philosophy classes if I want.

If I could share an afternoon with anyone, I would love to share it with…

Kanye West!

If I knew I could not fail, I would…

I would 100% be an F1 race-car driver or a professional football player. I unironically think I could still play for the NFL if I really wanted to despite being terribly out of shape and literally having never played football a day in my life…

If money was not a consideration, I would love to…

I would travel and make as many human connections across the world as I could!

What is your passion and how are you committed to pursuing it?

It’s vague, but I just want to help people. I can achieve this through my professional career if I choose, or through my life outside of the workplace.

After graduation, I plan to…

I do not yet have a job secured, but I am either planning in returning to a career in politics or transitioning to the private sector and pursuing some kind of economic consulting.

The one Texas A&M experience I will always remember is…

Probably just the games I’ve been to at Kyle Field. The energy in the stadium is unlike anything I have ever experienced in my life!