Vivian Taylor – August 2021

Texas A&M Department of Economics Amazing Student
August, 2021

Name:

Vivian Taylor

Hometown:

Bedford, TX

High School:

L.D. Bell High School

Degree objective:

BS in Economics

Expected graduation:

May 2021

University highlights, awards, scholarships:

McFadden Scholarship, Opportunity Scholarship, Dean’s List, Summa Cum Laude

Clubs/Organizations I am (was) a part of:

Texas A&M Philippine Student Association, Women in Economics

Current employment:

Financial Services Intern with TD Ameritrade

Family ties to Texas A&M:

My mom attended Texas A&M and graduated class of ’94!

I chose to attend Texas A&M because…

of its strong sense of community! The traditions and the school spirit are what make Texas A&M so special. From professors starting every class with a “Howdy!”, to ring day, to doing your wildcat at your class year, and every tradition in between, these little things make you feel like you’re meant to be there. They help make this huge university feel like a close-knit family.

My favorite things to do on campus are…

attending football games at Kyle field, studying with friends, and walking around and picnicking behind the George Bush Library!

When I have free time, I like…

doing jigsaw puzzles, watching TV, and driving around with my friends!

The craziest thing I’ve done is…

adopt ducks during quarantine! My family thought I was crazy at first, but we’ve all grown to love them! The ducks like peas, swimming, and rainy days! They are so sweet and so smart; they never cease to amaze me! I can honestly say adopting them was the best decision I’ve ever made!

My favorite place to study is…

the flag room! The table in the back left corner was my favorite; I tried to snag it every chance I got!

My favorite ECON professor is…

I feel so lucky to have had such great professors that I couldn’t choose just one! My favorite professors have been Dr. Maness and Dr. Edwardson. Dr. Maness’ ECON 414 class on healthcare and economics was so engaging and informative. His lectures are unmatched and he’s so kind! 100% worth the 8AM! Dr. Edwardson’s ECON 311 class, Money and Banking, was what convinced me to pursue a career in finance! Dr. Edwardson made banking feel approachable and was always there to answer questions about material, careers, or the market! They’re both incredible professors and you can’t go wrong taking their classes!

My favorite part of being an Economics student is…

how close you get with your professors and classmates! Since economics is a small department, you really get the chance to get to know the people around you. I was able to meet so many friends and faculty that were passionate about what they were studying or teaching, and it really encouraged me to find what made me feel excited about economics!

If I could share an afternoon with anyone, I would love to share it with…

Jane Austen! Pride and Prejudice has been my favorite book for years, and I would love to talk to her about it and her other works and what inspired her. Her writing and characters have been a constant source of comfort to me, and I would take the opportunity to thank her for them.

If I knew I could not fail, I would…

start a small business! Nothing too crazy, maybe just a cafe or a flower shop! Something fun and cute that makes other people smile!

If money was not a consideration, I would love to…

travel the world with my friends and family! I would love to travel through Europe and around the Mediterranean, but I wouldn’t want to go alone. I think it would be so fun to have my favorite people with me to enjoy the food and scenery and experience the cultures!

What is your passion and how are you committed to pursuing it?

My passion is making the world a little kinder. Life is hard, and you never know what the people around you are going through. Being understanding and nice to others, even when it isn’t the most convenient, can go a long way. It doesn’t seem like much, but if it makes even one person’s day better, it’s worth it.

After graduation, I plan to…

pursue a Master of Science in Finance at SMU in Dallas, TX! I hope to continue working in the finance industry in a position that incorporates my love of finance and economics!

The one Texas A&M experience I will always remember is…

Fish Camp! I met some of my closest friends there, and my time at Texas A&M would not have been the same without them. It was a crazy few days, but I am so grateful for the experience and the amazing friends I got out of it!