Amazing Student – Shelby Sanchez

Texas A&M Department of Economics Amazing Student
April, 2022

Name:

Shelby Sanchez

Hometown:

Lago Vista, TX

High School:

Lago Vista high School

Degree objective:

B.S. Economics

Expected graduation:

May 2022

University highlights, awards, scholarships:

Deans List and Cum Laude

Clubs/Organizations I am (was) a part of:

Delta Zeta, Aggie Blossoms

Current employment:

I have worked at Sweet Eugene’s my entire college career.

Family ties to Texas A&M:

I am a first-generation Aggie.

I chose to attend Texas A&M because…

I came from a small high school and wanted to see what a large university had to offer. The idea of becoming apart of something bigger than myself was really attractive for me. Growing up, every Aggie I met or non-Aggie talked about the university with such respect and admiration that I wanted to do the same. I also fell in love with the atmosphere here at A&M and the sense of community amongst Aggies.

My favorite things to do on campus are…

My favorite thing on campus was Aggie Football games and receiving my Aggie Ring. I’ve also really enjoyed studying with my friends at Zach or the MSC.

When I have free time, I like…

I enjoy spending times with my friends/organization, traveling, and spending time with my dog.

The craziest thing I’ve done is…

I took an internship in the Outer Banks when I didn’t know a single person on the East Coast. I moved there on a whim and made lifelong friends and grew as a person.

My favorite place to study is…

I love studying at the MSC to the left of the food court at the tables that are in nooks by the windows. I also really like using the computers on the first floor of Evans.

My favorite ECON professor is…

With so many amazing professors in the ECON department it is hard to choose just one, but there is two professors that have really helped me develop as an individual. The first is Dr. Naufal, his class was challenging but his personal stories have actually helped me with the direction I would like my life to go. He was also very enjoyable to learn from and I like coding now because of him. The second is my current professor Chelsea Temple. She is a wonderful professor that shows her care for her students and the material she teaches. I have never enjoyed talking in class or asking questions however, her class has made allowed me to feel confident in speaking out loud.

My favorite part of being an Economics student is…

How I have a better understanding of the world around me. I apply ECON concepts now to my day to day life.

If I could share an afternoon with anyone, I would love to share it with…

Jimbo Fisher. I would want to pick his brains about Aggie Football and his plans for the upcoming years.

If I knew I could not fail, I would…

I would become the next president in hopes of helping America reach its greatest potential economically and socially.

If money was not a consideration, I would love to…

I would love to travel. I would want to see all 50 states and then move on to exploring other countries.

What is your passion and how are you committed to pursuing it?

I am passionate about reforming our criminal justice system. I have always enjoyed crime books, podcasts, and shows. The goal is to enter the FBI or become a crime analyst.

After graduation, I plan to…

I will be working as a full time employee at JB Hunt Logistics and continuing to pursue my education.

The one Texas A&M experience I will always remember is…

I will always remember storming the field after Texas A&M beat Alabama or riding the Aggie Spirit Bus.