An economics internship is a professional learning experience that provides students with an opportunity to apply economic knowledge to “real world” experiences. The internship enables students to become familiar with work that requires the application of economics ideas, concepts and skills, to learn new skills related to economics, and to become familiar with the expectations for work in the professional world. You must obtain an internship in an organization to provide on-the-job training and applied research experience with professionals in settings appropriate to Economics and student professional interest.
- Secure a qualifying internship.
- Apply for the internship program.
- If approved, you will be enrolled in ECON 484 by an advisor:
- 150-299 hours of internship work = 3 credit hours of ECON 484.
- 300+ hours of internship work = 6 credit hours of ECON 484.
- A maximum of 6 credit hours of ECON 484 can be applied towards your ECON degree.
- This course will be graded on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory scale.
- Traditional tuition and fees will be applied towards this course.
- Complete internship and course assignments
Who Can Apply?
- ECON Major
- Completed ECON 202, 203, 323, and at least one additional ECON/ECMT course
- Overall GPA of 2.5 or higher
- ECON GPA of 2.5 or higher
What Internships Qualify?
- Internships must include:
- professional development
- practical application of economic theory
- skill building in research, writing, problem solving, analyzing, interpersonal communication, and teamwork
- ongoing guidance from a supervisor(non-relative)
- Start/end dates must be within the semester dates of taking ECON 484
- Minimum of 10 weeks with at least 150 total hours of work
- For more information read: Internships Do’s and Don’ts
How to Apply?
- Complete this Google Form (for Summer and Fall 2021 internships)
- Email official offer letter to Vince Hernandez
- Offer letters must include the following information:
- Employer/Supervisor Name
- Internship/Job Title
- Specific Job Duties (with a percentage breakdown for each duty)
- Start and End Dates of Internship
- Expected Hours to Work per week or throughout the duration of the internship
Who to Contact?