Skip to main content

Departmental Minors

Spanish Minor (SPAN)

Spanish Minor StudentsThe Spanish minor offers students the opportunity to hone their linguistic skills in a language that will be an asset upon entering the job market after graduation. A minor consists of SPAN 201/202/208/221 and 202/203/218/222 and at least 12 credits at the upper division (300-400 SPAN). A grade of C or higher is required in all courses counted towards the minor. At least nine hours must be taken in residence at Texas A&M. If the student decides to go abroad to fulfill upper division courses, then 6 hrs from abroad can be applied for the minor and 6 hrs will have to be taken at Texas A&M at the upper division level.
Click to download the SPAN minor form.

A SPAN must be declared before the student has completed 90 credit hours. If the student has over 90 hrs, they will want to reach out to the advisor,, regarding a petition to the College.

Spanish Major Change requirements: All enrolled current students and students from Texas A&M Galveston have to meet the following requirements. • Less than 90hrs and SPAN 201/208/221 and 202/203/218/222 have to be completed • GPA has to be a 2.0 or higher • Prior to changing your major, you will be required to meet with an advisor • If a student has more than 60hrs without any SPAN language completed this can hinder their major change, it will be discussed with the advisor

Spanish Minor Online Request form

Hispanic Studies for Community Engagement Minor Form.

Hispanic Community Engagement Minor (HPCE)

The minor in Hispanic Studies for Community Engagement offers students the opportunity to combine advanced Spanish skills with coursework in related areas taught in English, with a strong service-learning component. This minor consists of 6 SPAN credits at the upper division (to be chosen from SPAN 302/304, 303, 307, 310, 312, 403, 409, 411, 412, 460, 461, 462, 489). An additional 9 hours must be taken in interdisciplinary coursework dealing with Hispanic/Latino topics and issues. No more than 2 of these courses may be selected from any given department. These electives include: ANTH 303, 308, 445, ENGL 336, 338, GEOG 323, HISP 352, 362 (cross-listed with ENGL 362), 363, 371, HIST 304, 305, 307, 341, 342, 440, 441, PHIL 283, POLS 304, 323, 362, SOCI 217, 317, 402, 403, and any SPAN course not listed above. Finally, the minor requires a three-hour internship or service-learning experience (SPAN 484), which must be done in an institution providing services to the local Hispanic population. Examples include hospitals and clinics, courthouses, businesses, religious institutions, school districts, and non-profit organizations. You can download the Hispanic Studies for Community Engagement Minor Form.

The HPCE Minor must be declared before the student has completed 75 credit hours. Credits earned through placement exam or high school coursework may be excluded from this rule through an appeals process in the department. If needed, you can download the HPCE Minor Appeal.