The criteria and requirements to apply for the Bart L. Lewis scholarship are as follows:
- Students must be undergraduate majors in Spanish, enrolled full-time (12 credit hours)
- Students must be in good standing at the time of application, hold a 3.5 GPA in courses in Spanish major and at least a 3.0 GPA overall
Application Process for Study Abroad Scholarships:
Applications are typically due in late March. Please consult with the Academic Advisor for specific deadlines. At the time of applying, please do the following:
- Complete and submit an application link
- Include in your application a statement of purpose, resumé, academic transcript, and a writing sample in Spanish (composition, essay, etc.)
- Email your application to mailto:email@example.com or hand-deliver it at the Hispanic Studies Advising Office (ACAD 107) in a sealed envelope
- Ask two of your professors to send letters of recommendation on your behalf to Zuleika Carrasco-Martinez, Hispanic Studies Academic Advisor
The Undergraduate Studies Committee in the Department of Hispanic Studies will review the applications and forward recommendations to the Department Head. Successful candidates will be notified mid-April.
Requirements for Recipients:
- Travel must be completed within a twelve-month period beginning January 1. Funds may not roll over to the following grant period.
- A thank you letter must be written to the donors immediately upon acceptance of the scholarship.
- Before the end of the first month of a long semester back on the TAMU campus, the student will provide the Director of Study Abroad with a two-page summary of the academic work accomplished during the scholarship period.
- Before the end of the first semester back on campus, the student is expected to present an informal talk to a student audience, informing them about highlights and academic benefits of the study abroad experience.
- Any publications resulting from the study abroad experience should acknowledge the Department of Hispanic Studies and the Dr. Bart L. Lewis Scholarship.