Latino/o and American Studies (LMAS) Undergraduate Minor Requirements
Select 15 hours from lists A and B with a minimum of 9 hours at the upper-division level (300- and 400-level). The student must take at least two courses (6 hours) from list A, and from at least two departments on that list. Students must earn a grade of “C” or better in each course to be counted in the minor field.
Course List A
- ENGL/HISP 362 Latino/a Literature
- HISP 363 Borderlands: U.S. and Mexico
- HIST 307 Latino Communities of the U.S.
- POLS 304 Latino Politics in the United States
- SOCI 403 Sociology of Latinos
- SPAN 412 Hispanic Writers in the U.S.
- LMAS 201 Intro to Latino/a & Mexican Amer Studies
Course List B
- AFST 325 Africana Humanities
- ANTH 303 Archaeology of the Amer Southwest
- COMM 407 Women, Minorities and Mass Media
- GEOG 323 Geography of Latin America
- HISP 204 Span and Span Amer Lit in Translation
- HIST 258 American Indian History
- HIST 303 Latino/a Labor in the United States
- HIST 304 Mexican-American Frontier to 1848
- HIST 305 Mexican-American History 1848–Present
- Hist 316 Latino/a Labor in the United States
- Hist 441 History of Mexico Since 1821
- HLTH 236 Race, Ethnicity and Health
- PHIL 283 Latin American Philosophy
- POLS 306 Immigration and Political Theory
- POLS 362 Latin American Political Thought
- PSYC/ AFST 208 Stereotypes, Prejudice, Minority Experience
- PSYC/ AFST 209 Psychology of Culture and Diversity
- PSYC/ AFST/ WGST 303 Psychology of Women of Color
- SOCI 203 US-Mexico Border
- SOCI 217 Introduction to Race and Ethnicity
- SOCI 336 Latino Migration
- SOCI 337 International Migration
- SOCI 338 Latino Immigration
- SOCI 402 Sociology of Latin America
- SOCI 489 (203) US-Mexico Border
- SPAN 450 Contemporary Span & Span-Amer. Lit
- TEFB 273 Intro Cult, Community, Society Schools
Other courses not listed may be substituted if they focus on Latino and/or Mexican-American Studies, pending approval of the ICS Executive Director and LMAS Program Coordinator.
To Declare a Minor in LMAS make an appointment with the Interdisciplinary Critical Studies (ICS) Advisor, Brianna Edwards, by going to https://tamu.campus.eab.com/home. See “Undergraduate Advising” for further information.