Skip to main content

Facilities

The College of Liberal Arts is comprised of twelve academic departments and five interdisciplinary programs.  Centers and institutes associated with the College provide public service, conduct research and share information. Faculty and staff are located in over 14 buildings throughout the Texas A&M University (TAMU) campus, predominately centered on the main campus around the historic Academic Plaza.  The Dean’s Office is located in the Coke building. Our building diversity helps preserve the historic atmosphere and focuses on educational studies.  A few of our buildings are featured below.

The Academic Building with statue of Sullivan Ross in front of itThe Academic Building  (ACAD) is one of seven buildings on campus over 100 years old and a landmark structure for TAMU.  Standing on the site of Old Main, the four-story beaux-art classical style building was completed in 1914, and originally housed the Texas A&M Library.  It is now home to three departments:  Hispanic Studies, International Studies, and Sociology, along with the English Language Institute. The building and Academic Plaza in front are often referred to as the “crossroads of the campus” for the wide range of campus events which take place there. Map Location.

The Liberal Arts & Humanities Building The Liberal Arts & Humanities Building (LAAH) is one of the newer buildings on campus, opening in 2013. It was the first building specifically designed for instruction and scholarship in the arts and humanities, including recording studios, practice and rehearsal rooms, costume shop, and faculty offices, along with computer-based teaching classrooms. The five-story, 124,000 square-foot structure is located in the historic core of campus, east of the Glasscock Building. Inside this state-of-the-art facility are the departments of English and Performance Studies, which were previously spread over five buildings. Map Location.

Bolton Hall framed in photo by the Century TreeBolton Hall – constructed in 1912 as the Mechanical and Engineering Building, Bolton is located across from Nagle Hall in the Academic Plaza. In 1921, students used the building to broadcast what is believed to be the first play-by-play of a football game. Coded signals were sent to radio stations around the state. Renamed in 1939, Frank Bolton was the head of the electrical engineering department, and later served as acting college president. Completely renovated in 1989, the building is home to the Communication department. The Century Tree is in front of the building. Map Location; Safety Plan

Front of the Anthropology buildingAnthropology Building – initially constructed for engineering, the building underwent renovations in 2012-2013. Home for the entire Anthropology department, the first floor also houses the Institute for Nautical Archaeology and the Center for Maritime Archaeology Conservation. It is located to the north of Evans Library and the Glasscock Building, and to the northeast of Francis Hall. Map Location

Front of the Allen BuildingTwo liberal arts departments, Economics and Political Science, are housed in the Allen Building on west campus. Built adjacent to both the George H. W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum and the Presidential Conference Center, this building also houses the George Bush School of Government and Public Service. Map Location.

The remaining Liberal Arts departments, History (Glasscock Building), Philosophy (YMCA Building), and Psychology (Psychology Building), are all located around the Academic Plaza and at the very heart of the Texas A&M main campus.