International Experience – INTS
All International Studies majors are required to complete an international experience in order to graduate. The International Experience must generate at least 3 hours of Texas A&M University credit. Departmental approval is required before travel. Any international experience that does not meet these criteria will not count toward the degree.
- Must be at least one long semester or one 10-week summer approved experience.
- Must be taken after completion of 100- and 200-level language requirement and INTS 201.
- Must be completed before student is eligible to enroll in INTS 481, INTS 491 or INTS 497.
- Must be an immersion experience in the foreign culture and language, which can be satisfied by:
- An internship at a company, government agency or non-profit operation involving significant use of the foreign language. Three hours of INTS 484 elective credit can be given.
- Courses taken at a foreign university. Courses may count for Texas A&M University credit with approval of the advisor of the relevant department. These courses cannot apply to the International Studies core. One course must be taken in the foreign language at the 300- or 400-level.
- Selected Texas A&M University Study Abroad programs which involve intensive cultural and language immersion.
- A combination of the above to equal the requirement of a long semester or a 10-week summer-approved experience.
- Must be taken outside of the student’s country of origin.
- Must be taken in one foreign country that matches with the foreign language and the area study requirement unless approved by the department head before travel.