The Department has recently developed a new minor in Performance Studies in which your studies could highlight Music, Theatre, Performance Technology, Performance in Cultural Context, or a combination of course offerings. The requirements are:
- PERF 101: Intro to Performance Studies
- PERF 301: Performance in World Cultures
- 12 hours of Performance Studies Electives*
*To be selected from MUSC, THAR, or PERF courses with at least 6 hours at 300-400 level
We also offer a minor in Performance Technology. In PerfTech courses, student works focus on what we have come to call “technology-based performance” instead of “electronic music,” etc. Technology-based performance implies that the technology plays a substantial role in the performance, more than simply standing in for acoustic musicians or hand-painted sets. Student works seek structures that apply technology in such a way that the meaning of the work would completely change or fall apart if the technology were removed.
- PERF 202: Introduction to Performance Technology
- PERF 402: Intermedia Performance
12 hours of PerfTech Electives, selected from:
- MUSC 316: Music and Technology
- MUSC 317: Recording and the Producer
- MUSC 491: Research†
- PERF 318: Electronic Composition
- PERF 483: Performance Practicum‡
- PERF 491: Research†
- THAR 435: New Technology for Designers
- THAR 445: Design as Performance
- THAR 491: Research†
†PERF 491: Research courses require faculty approval prior to enrollment.
‡PERF 483: Performance Practicum must be approved by faculty advisor and minor advisor prior to enrollment.
To declare a minor, please schedule an appointment with our Academic Advisor, Tara Dean, at https://swan.tamu.edu/PERF.