Congratulations to Denise Meda Calderon

The Philosophy Department is proud to announce that Denise Meda Calderon has earned the Douglas Greenlee Prize presented by the Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy (SAAP). The Douglas Greenlee Prize is awarded to either a graduate student of person holding a Ph.D. for no more than five years for the best paper presented […]

The Philosophy Department is proud to announce that Denise Meda Calderon has earned the Douglas Greenlee Prize presented by the Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy (SAAP). The Douglas Greenlee Prize is awarded to either a graduate student of person holding a Ph.D. for no more than five years for the best paper presented at the annual SAAP meeting.

The paper is titled “Decolonial Movidas: María Lugones’ Notion of Decolonial Aesthesis Through Cosmologies” and the abstract follows:

María Lugones is well known for her decolonial feminist methodology but her notion of decolonial aesthesis has yet to be appreciated. In this paper I aim to rectify this by analyzing her notion of decolonial aesthesis as a resistant permeable sensing. My analysis begins with Lugones’ decolonial methodology to articulate a “seeing” of coloniality which I suggest leads to her development of decolonial aesthesis as a mode of resistance to dehumanizing social reductions. I argue that decolonial aesthesis, as a sensuous relational mode of resistance, reveals the interconnected relations operating within non-dominant socialities as cosmological activity. To flesh out this point, I turn to two interlocutors central to Lugones’ intellectual genealogy: Gloria Anzaldúa and Rodolfo Kusch. I conclude by interpreting Lugones’ reading of Anzaldúa as a coalitional movida performing decolonial aesthesis.

In addition, Denise has been awarded the Louisville Institute Fellowship for 2022-2023.