Application and Admissions
Admission to the PhD programs in Psychological and Brain Sciences is competitive. We seek applicants with meaningful previous research experience, evidence of leadership, a commitment to diversity, and other relevant skills and accomplishments that demonstrate the potential for excellence. Students admitted to a program typically have competitive GRE (Verbal, Quantitative, and Written) scores and GPAs of 3.50 or higher, although we are fundamentally interested in admitting the best students regardless of scores and recognize that a number of factors can impact test scores.
Doctoral Program Application Process
(Applications are now Closed)
**Due to difficulties with test taking during the COVID-19 pandemic, the GRE score requirement is temporarily waived for applications submitted for fall 2021 admission and we strongly encourage applicants *not* to submit GRE scores with their application in this cycle.**
1. Complete and Submit the Texas A&M University GraduateCAS Application Online
Application Location: https://texasam2021.liaisoncas.com/ Also, you can only apply to one degree seeking program within the Texas A&M system.
Required Documents and Information:
- Statement of Purpose: The statement of purpose (also known as a “personal statement”) should describe your reasons for applying to a specific area within the doctoral program and/or to work with particular faculty member(s). This document should include details regarding your qualifications, your research experience, academic and research interests, future career plans, and how you contribute to diversity and inclusion. Please also include any other aspects of your background and interests that could help the admissions committee evaluate your potential for graduate study. Upload your statement of purpose in the GraduateCas online application or within the documents tab.
2. Send Your Test Scores
Test scores will need to be sent directly from the Educational Testing service to Texas A&M University
- GRE scores: Official GRE Scores should be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service to Texas A&M University and be from a test date within five years of the date the application form reached the Office of Admissions. We do not require the GRE Psychology Subject test. For information on test dates and locations, please visit Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) website. Use code 6003 to report your GRE scores to Texas A&M University**Due to difficulties with test taking during the COVID-19 pandemic, the GRE score requirement is temporarily waived for applications submitted for fall 2021 admission and we strongly encourage applicants *not* to submit GRE scores with their application in this cycle.**
- TOEFL scores: Official TOEFL scores are required by the university for all applicants whose first language is not English. Unless you have a 4 year B.A. or M.A. degree from an English-speaking country, you are required to take the TOEFL examination to provide evidence of English language proficiency. This test can be waived if your GRE verbal score is higher than 146. TOEFL scores should be sent directly from the testing service, and must be from a test date within two years of the date of your application. For information on registration, test centers, dates and test formats, go to http://toefl.org. Use code 6003 to report your TOEFL scores to Texas A&M University.
3. Request Your Transcripts (Please do not send your official transcripts directly to the Admissions Office until AFTER you have been admitted)
Once you have been Admitted, your transcripts must be mailed directly from your institution to the TAMU Office of Admissions at the address below. NOTE: If you completed your undergraduate study at Texas A&M University, you do not need to submit an official transcript from the University. Texas A&M will accept electronic transcripts through PARCHMENT, SPEEDE, eScrip-SAFE or National Clearing House. Transcripts from any other vendor will not be accepted. Please send electronic transcripts to email@example.com
Do NOT mail Official transcripts to the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences.
If you are an international graduate applicant please view a brief List of Bachelor Degree Equivalencies by Country. If you do not find your country listed and are unsure of your degree equivalency, please contact the Office of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants who do not possess a degree considered to be equivalent to a U.S. Bachelor’s degree or higher will be denied admission.
Graduate Admissions Processing
Office of Admissions
Texas A&M University
P.O. Box 40001
College Station, TX 77842-4001
4. Complete and Submit materials in the Texas A&M University GraduateCAS Application Online
Required Documents and Information:
- Letters of Recommendation
The GraduateCAS online application includes a Recommendations section where you must add your recommenders’ information. Once you have saved the recommendation requests, GraduateCAS will contact each recommender via email to request the completion of the recommendation form and letter of recommendation. We require three letters of recommendations and they must be submitted directly by recommenders through the electronic system.
- Curriculum Vitae (C.V.)/ Resume – Please upload your CV into GraduateCAS system. Please see American Psychological Association website for examples.
Please use the following help link if you are having trouble filling out your application.