Welcome to Religious Studies

Welcome! Are you curious about exorcism in medieval art, how the world’s religious traditions might just be on track to make the world more environmentally sustainable, or what ancient sacred texts biblical scholars and archeologists have recently discovered? Then you are curious about religious studies! With a major and a minor in religious studies, Texas A&M University invites students to explore the world’s religious traditions from an interdisciplinary academic perspective.

“Minoring in religious studies allowed me to recognize the extent to which religion is deeply woven into the structures of our world, honor people of other religious traditions, and to meditate upon topics of ultimate concern.”
  –  Allen Junek, Philosophy/Classics Major, Texas A&M Class of ’18, Brite Divinity School Class of ’22; Seminarian, the Episcopal Church of St. Thomas the Apostle

“I loved my RELS minor because it gave me an outlet to use the part of my brain my science-heavy major didn’t give space for. The tools I learned from those classes I take with me to the clinic as I interact with patients from all different backgrounds and belief systems.”
  –  Meagan McGaugh, University Studies Biomedical Sciences major, Neuroscience and Religious Studies minors, Texas A&M Class of 2020; Doctorate of Physical Therapy Student, University of Texas Medical Branch, Class of ‘23

“My favorite part of this program is having the opportunity to learn from incredible faculty who are committed to helping their students better understand the complex effects of religion on our world.”
  –  Sarah Rutherford, University Studies – Religious Thought, Practices, and Cultures Concentration Major, Texas A&M Class of ‘22

Texas A&M offers two ways to study religion:

• Major (BA) in Religious Thought, Practices and Culture
  • Minor in Religious Studies

Courses in both curricular options integrate the study of religion with other academic  disciplines, to give you a multi-dimensional understanding of religion as an aspect of human culture and experience. All coursework emphasizes critical thinking and written expression.