- Social Demography
- Public Policy Analysis
Courses Taught at Texas A&M
- SOCI 312: Population and Society
- SOCI 320: Demographic Methods
- SOCI 420: Advanced Methods of Social Research
- SOCI 622: Social Demography
- SOCI 632: Migration
My research is related to social demography, migration, and public policy analysis. My teaching interests include demography, migration, methods and social statistics, and public policy analysis. Prior to joining Texas A&M University, I was an associate sociologist at the RAND Corporation and professor at the Pardee RAND Graduate School from 2014 to 2017. I served as an assistant/associate professor in the Political Science Department at the Federal University of Minas Gerais (UFMG), Brazil from 2009 to 2014. I received my PhD in sociology with a concentration in demography from the University of Texas at Austin in 2007, a master’s degree in demography from UFMG in 2002, and a bachelor’s degree in social sciences from the Federal University of Goiás (UFG), Brazil in 2000.
- Amaral EFL, Pollard MS, Mendelsohn J, Cefalu M. 2018. “Current and future demographics of the veteran population, 2014-2024.” Population Review 57(1): 28-60.
- Amaral EFL, Woldetsadik MA, Armenta G. 2018. “Challenges to the integration of Syrian refugees.” International Journal of Population Studies 4(1): 39-56.
- Amaral EFL, Rios-Neto ELG, Potter JE. 2016. “The influence of internal migration on male earnings in Brazil, 1970–2000.” Migration and Development 5(1): 55–78.
- Amaral EFL, Queiroz BL, Calazans JA. 2015. “Demographic changes, educational improvements, and earnings in Brazil and Mexico.” IZA Journal of Labor & Development 4(23): 1–21.
- Amaral EFL, Gonçalves GQ. 2015. “Bolsa Família Program and school enrollment: An analysis of the 2010 Brazilian demographic census.” Política y Sociedad 52(3): 741-769.
- Potter JE, Amaral EFL, Woodberry R. 2014. “The growth of Protestantism in Brazil and its impact on male earnings, 1970–2000.” Social Forces 93(1): 125–153.
- Hopkins K, Amaral EFL, Mourão ANM. 2014. “The impact of payment source and hospital type on rising cesarean section rates in Brazil, 1998 to 2008.” Birth 41(2): 169–177.
- Amaral EFL, Potter JE, Hamermesh DS, Rios-Neto ELG. 2013. “Age, education, and earnings in the course of Brazilian development: Does composition matter?” Demographic Research 28(20): 581–612.
- Amaral EFL, Almeida ME, Rios-Neto ELG, Potter JE. 2013. “Effects of the age-education structure of female workers on male earnings in Brazil.” Poverty & Public Policy 5(4): 336–353.
- Inácio MM, Amaral EFL. 2013. “Government or opposition? The determinants of legislative support for governors in Brazil.” SAGE Open 3: 1-11.
- Amaral EFL. 2012. “The decomposition of economic outcomes as a result of changes in Brazil’s male age-education structure.” Population Research and Policy Review 31(6): 883–905.
- Amaral EFL, Rios-Neto ELG, Potter JE. 2012. “Long term influences of age-education transition on the Brazilian labour market.” Bulletin of Latin American Research 31(3): 302–319.
- Pereira MAG, Amaral EFL, Costa MM. 2012. “Some determinants of the existence of government websites: 853 municipalities in Minas Gerais, Brazil.” Latin American Research Review 47(3): 155–174.
- Amaral EFL, Potter JE. 2009. “Population policies, government programs, and fertility: A comparison between Brazil and Mexico.” Notas de Población 35(87): 7–33.
- Amaral EFL. 2008. “Improvements of techniques to estimate migration rates: An application with Brazilian Censuses data.” Population Review 47(2): 1–24.
- Skop E, Peters PA, Amaral EFL, Potter JE, Fusco W. 2006. “Chain migration and residential segregation of internal migrants in the metropolitan area of São Paulo, Brazil.” Urban Geography 27(5): 397–421.