- (979) 845-6549
- Academic 327C
- Professional Links
- Leadership Position
- Director, Texas Federal Statistical Research Data Center
Associate Department Head
- Degree From
- Ph.D. University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Racial and Ethnic Relations
- Racial and Ethnic Identity
- Social Inequality
- Social Demography
Courses Taught at Texas A&M
- SOCI 205: Introduction to Sociology
- SOCI 217: Introduction to Race and Ethnicity
- SOCI 317: Racial and Ethnic Relations
- SOCI 664: Racial and Ethnic Identity and Identification
Co-Organizer of the “Measuring the Diverging Components of Race in a Multiracial America” Conference.
Co-Director of the Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates Program.
Director of the Texas Federal Statistical Research Data Center
What is your “race”? Professor Campbell discusses some of the challenges of measuring racial inequality. Her work explores the complexity of racialized experiences, using laboratory experiments, field experiments, and large-scale national surveys.
- Campbell, Mary E., Verna M. Keith, Vanessa Gonlin and Adrienne Carter-Sowell. (Forthcoming 2020) “Is a Picture Worth A Thousand Words? An Experiment Comparing Observer-Based Skin Tone Measures.” Race and Social Problems.
- Campbell, Mary E. (Forthcoming 2020) “Color and Constraint: The Effect of Skin Tone on Recent Immigrants to the United States.” Du Bois Review.
- Korver-Glenn, Elizabeth, Sylvia Emmanuel, Mary E. Campbell and Verna M. Keith. (Forthcoming 2020) “Media Consumption and Racial Residential Preferences.” Social Science Quarterly.
- Hannon, Lance, Verna M. Keith, Robert Defina and Mary E. Campbell. (Forthcoming 2020) “Do white people see all black skin tones as the same? Reevaluating a purported out-group homogeneity effect.” Social Psychology Quarterly.
- Gonlin, Vanessa, Nicole Jones, and Mary E. Campbell. 2020. “On the (Racial) Border: Expressed Race, Reflected Race, and the U.S.-Mexico Border Context.” Sociology of Race and Ethnicity 6(2): 161-178.
- Bratter, Jenifer, Mary E. Campbell and Jarron M. Saint Onge. 2020. “Living Race Together: The Role of Partner’s Race in Racial/Ethnic Differences in Smoking.” Ethnicity and Health 25(1): 141-159.
- Harnois, Catherine E., João L. Bastos, Mary E. Campbell and Verna M. Keith. 2019. “Measuring Perceived Mistreatment Across Diverse Social Groups: An Evaluation of the Everyday Discrimination Scale.” Social Science & Medicine 232:298-306.
- Gardner, Bret J., Jay G. Pedersen, Mary E. Campbell, James C. McClay. 2019. “Incorporating a Location-based Socioeconomic Index into a De-Identified i2b2 Clinical Data Warehouse.” Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 26(4): 286-93.
- Gonlin, Vanessa and Mary E. Campbell. 2017. “Is Blindness Contagious? Examining Racial Attitudes Among People of Color with Close Interracial Relationships.” Sociological Perspectives 60(5): 937-55.
- Campbell, Mary E., Jenifer L. Bratter, and Wendy D. Roth, co-editors. 2016. Special issue: Measuring the Diverging Components of Race. American Behavioral Scientist 60(4).
- Campbell, Mary E. and Molly A. Martin. 2016. “Race, Immigration and Exogamy among the Native Born: Variation across Communities.” Sociology of Race and Ethnicity 2(2):142-61.
- Brett, Jeremy and Mary E. Campbell. 2016. “Prejudices Unshelved: Variation in Attitudes toward Controversial Public Library Materials in the General Social Survey, 1972-2014.” Public Library Quarterly 35(1):23-36.
- Campbell, Mary E. and Melissa Herman. 2015. “Both Personal and Public: Measuring Interethnic Marriage Attitudes.” Journal of Social Issues 71(4):712-32.