- Racial and Ethnic Relations
- Racial and Ethnic Identity
- Social Inequality
- Social Demography
Courses Taught at Texas A&M
- SOCI 205: Introduction to Sociology
- SOCI 217: Introduction to Race and Ethnicity
- SOCI 317: Racial and Ethnic Relations
- SOCI 662: Social Demography
- SOCI 664: Racial and Ethnic Identity and Identification
Director of the Texas Federal Statistical Research Data Center
What is your “race”? Professor Campbell discusses some of the challenges of measuring racial inequality. Her work explores the complexity of racialized experiences, using laboratory experiments, field experiments, and large-scale national surveys.
- Jones, Nicole, Danny Malone Jr. and Mary E. Campbell. 2021.“Same-Sex and Different-Sex Interracial Couples: The Importance of Demographic and Religious Context.” Race and Social Problems 13: 267-78.
- Hannon, Lance, Verna M. Keith, Robert DeFina and Mary E. Campbell. 2021. “Do white people see variation in black skin tones? Reexamining a purported out-group homogeneity effect.” Social Psychology Quarterly 84(1):95-106.
- Campbell, Mary E. 2020. “Color and Constraint: The Effect of Skin Tone on Recent Immigrants to the United States.” Du Bois Review 17(2): 271-292.
- Korver-Glenn, Elizabeth, Sylvia Emmanuel, Mary E. Campbell and Verna M. Keith. 2020. “Media Consumption and Racial Residential Preferences.” Social Science Quarterly 101(5):1936-50.
- Campbell, Mary E., Verna M. Keith, Vanessa Gonlin and Adrienne Carter-Sowell. 2020. “Is a Picture Worth A Thousand Words? An Experiment Comparing Observer-Based Skin Tone Measures.” Race and Social Problems 12(3), 266-278.
- Gonlin, Vanessa, Nicole Jones, and Mary E. Campbell. 2020. “On the (Racial) Border: Expressed Race, Reflected Race, and the U.S.-Mexico Border Context.” Sociology of Race and Ethnicity 6(2): 161-178.
- Bratter, Jenifer, Mary E. Campbell and Jarron M. Saint Onge. 2020. “Living Race Together: The Role of Partner’s Race in Racial/Ethnic Differences in Smoking.” Ethnicity and Health 25(1): 141-159.
- Harnois, Catherine E., João L. Bastos, Mary E. Campbell and Verna M. Keith. 2019. “Measuring Perceived Mistreatment Across Diverse Social Groups: An Evaluation of the Everyday Discrimination Scale.” Social Science & Medicine 232:298-306.
- Gardner, Bret J., Jay G. Pedersen, Mary E. Campbell, James C. McClay. 2019. “Incorporating a Location-based Socioeconomic Index into a De-Identified i2b2 Clinical Data Warehouse.” Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 26(4): 286-93.
- Gonlin, Vanessa and Mary E. Campbell. 2017. “Is Blindness Contagious? Examining Racial Attitudes Among People of Color with Close Interracial Relationships.” Sociological Perspectives 60(5): 937-55.
- Campbell, Mary E., Jenifer L. Bratter, and Wendy D. Roth, co-editors. 2016. Special issue: Measuring the Diverging Components of Race. American Behavioral Scientist 60(4).
- Campbell, Mary E. and Molly A. Martin. 2016. “Race, Immigration and Exogamy among the Native Born: Variation across Communities.” Sociology of Race and Ethnicity 2(2):142-61.
- Brett, Jeremy and Mary E. Campbell. 2016. “Prejudices Unshelved: Variation in Attitudes toward Controversial Public Library Materials in the General Social Survey, 1972-2014.” Public Library Quarterly 35(1):23-36.
- Campbell, Mary E. and Melissa Herman. 2015. “Both Personal and Public: Measuring Interethnic Marriage Attitudes.” Journal of Social Issues 71(4):712-32.
- 2020 Achievements in Climate and Inclusion (ACI) Award, College of Liberal Arts
- 2019-2020 Association of Former Students Distinguished Achievement Award for Teaching, College-level, Texas A&M University
- 2014 Early Career Scholarship Award, Midwest Sociological Society
- 2010 Collegiate Teaching Award, University of Iowa