- (979) 845-5483
- Academic 323A
- Professional Links
- Degree From
- Ph.D. University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Latino/a Sociology
- Sociology of Work
- Globalization and Development
- Latin America
- Qualitative Methods
Courses Taught at Texas A&M
- SOCI 314: Social Problems
- SOCI 337: International Migration
- SOCI 338: Latino Immigration
- SOCI 402: Sociology of Latin America
- SOCI 423: Globalization and Social Change
- SOCI 424/WGST: Women and Work in Society
- SOCI/WGST 607: Seminar in Social Organization (Gender and Work)
Born in Chile and raised in Vermont and central Mexico, Dr. Plankey-Videla’s research and teaching is informed by a global perspective on inequality and agency. Her research seeks to understand how structural inequality affects the opportunities and barriers for women workers in Latin America and Latino/a immigrants in the U.S. Her early work links power shifts in the global economy with organizational changes within firms, explaining how these changes lead to labor resistance during a period of economic crisis. More recently, Dr. Plankey-Videla’s work with the Latino immigrant community in Texas has lead to research on the racialization of day laborers and the effects of deportation threat on families and communities.
- Nancy Plankey-Videla. 2012. We Are in This Dance Together: Gender, Power, and Globalization in a Mexican Garment Firm. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- Winner of the 2012 National Women’s Studies Association Sarah A. Whaley Book Prize for books on gender and labor.
- Winner of the 2013 Society for the Study of Social Problems’ Global Division Best Book Award.
- Focus of the 2015 Book Review Symposium of the Journal of World-Systems Research.
- Reviewed in American Journal of Sociology, Social Forces, Work and Occupations, Administrative Science Quarterly, Contemporary Sociology,International Journal of Comparative Sociology and New Labor Forum.
- Nancy Plankey-Videla. 2012. “Consent as Process: Problematizing Informed Consent in Organizational Ethnographies.” Qualitative Sociology 35(1): 1-21.
- Nancy Plankey-Videla. 2010. “Engendering Global Studies of Women and Work.” Feminist Studies Special Issue on Feminism and Globalism 36(1): 174-193.
- Nancy Plankey-Videla. 2006. “It Cuts Both Ways: Workers, Management and the Construction of a “Community of Fate” on the Shop Floor in a Mexican Garment Factory.” Social Forces 84(4): 2099-2120.
- Nancy Plankey-Videla. 2006. “Gendered Contradictions: Managers and Women Workers in Self-Managed Teams.” Research in the Sociology of Work: Special Issue on Worker Participation, ed. by Vicki Smith, 16: 85-116.