International Experience – MODL – German
All Modern Languages majors in the German track are required to complete an international experience in order to graduate. Students in the French and Russian tracks are not required to complete an international experience, but are highly encouraged to do so.
The International Experience must generate at least 3 hours of Texas A&M University credit. Departmental approval is required before travel. Any international experience that does not meet these criteria will not count toward the degree.
- Must be at least one long semester or one 10-week summer approved experience.
- Must be taken after completion of 100- and 200-level language requirement
- Must be an immersion experience in the foreign culture and language, which can be satisfied by:
- An internship at a company, government agency or non-profit operation involving significant use of the foreign language. Three hours of MODL 484 elective credit can be given.
- Courses taken at a foreign university. Courses may count for Texas A&M University credit with approval of the advisor of the relevant department. One course must be taken in the foreign language at the 300- or 400-level.
- Selected Texas A&M University Study Abroad programs which involve intensive cultural and language immersion.
- A combination of the above to equal the requirement of a long semester or a 10-week summer-approved experience.
- Must be taken outside of the student’s country of origin.
- Must be taken in one foreign country that matches with the foreign language unless approved by the department head before travel.