Skip to main content

Financial Aid

There are four types of financial aids available to graduate students: Graduate Assistantships (GAT), Graduate Assistantships– Lecturer (GAL), Fellowships and Scholarships, Outside Graduate Assistantships (GAT) , and Travel and Research Grants.

Graduate Assistantships (GAT)

Selected MA and PhD students doing coursework serve the department as Graduate Assistants, (GATs) 20 hours/week. The Graduate Studies Committee chooses GATs from continuing and newly admitted students. Students are ranked on a combination of seniority and performance (academic and otherwise) as evaluated by the faculty. Per university rules, students enrolled in the 96-hour PhD program are eligible for funding during their first five years in the program.  Students enrolled in the 64 hour PhD program are eligible for funding during their first four years in the program.

GATs receive a nine-month salary (amount keyed to academic level) plus university-funded medical/dental and life insurance coverage year round. Each GAT shares a mailbox in the departmental mail room and office space in the department. New GATs must attend university orientations and should schedule these through the department prior to the beginning of the semester.

GATs provide support to teaching faculty with a student load of 100-300; their duties vary as each professor determines how to utilize his or her GAT. Generally, GATs grade examinations, both objective and essay, hold office hours, attend undergraduate lectures, and take attendance. GATs may also conduct review sessions, lecture for an absent professor, write examinations, and record grades. The Coordinator of Graduate Studies assigns GATs to the faculty each semester. To learn more about teaching, administering and writing exams, or other classroom related tasks, GATs may take advantage of the Center for Teaching Excellence.

GATs should check with his or her professor to receive desk copies of texts being used. If the professor has not arranged for copies for the GANT, he or she may request them from the publisher using a Desk Copy Request form available in the department.

Graduate Assistantships– Lecturer (GAL)

Doctoral students who have passed their preliminary examinations may receive Graduate Assistantship, Lecturer (GAL) positions. The department chooses GALs according to the same guidelines as GATs. The department funds GALs for up to four semesters based on “satisfactory progress.” GALs receive a nine-month salary (based on number of courses taught each semester) plus university-funded medical/dental and life insurance coverage year round. Each GAL has a mailbox in the department mail room and share office space in the department.

First semester GALs have complete responsibility for one course section. They choose their books, write their syllabi, lecture, prepare examinations, hold office hours, and assign grades. Subsequently, GALs may receive funding for more than one section and the assistance of a GAT for student loads over 100. GALs are periodically evaluated by faculty members. Their assignments are determined by the Coordinator of Graduate Studies and the Department Head. To learn more about teaching, administering and writing exams, or other classroom related tasks, GALs may take advantage of the Center for Teaching Excellence. To ease their grading responsibilities, GALs may have their objective exams graded by Measurement and Testing Services.

Outside Graduate Assistantships (GATs)

History graduate students may find GAT positions in other departments, although the search is more challenging. Some jobs, such as those in College offices, are posted and open for applications. Outside departments sometimes request that the Coordinator or Department Head suggest someone for them. Check the bulletin boards outside the Financial Aid office periodically for possibilities. While the financial benefits and departmental perks vary, all GATs receive the university-funded medical/dental and life insurance coverage year round.

Fellowships and Scholarships

History graduate students are eligible for Merit, President’s, and Regent’s Fellowships and are nominated by the department prior to enrollment. Financial Aid distributes Academic Excellence Awards (scholarships) to undergraduate and graduate students on a competitive basis each spring. The monetary value of the fellowships and scholarships vary. Other awards, such as the Good Neighbor Award for Canadian and Mexican students, may supplement tuition payments. Outside sources can be located through the Financial Aid computer bank.

Travel and Research Grants

Grants are available from the College of Arts and Sciences (partially funded by the department) for travel to present research results or for travel or other expenses necessary to complete the thesis or dissertation. The amount varies and the application process is very simple; you may get an application from the College office. After receiving a grant, you will need to make arrangements with departmental bookkeeping in order to get reimbursed for your expenses. Requests must be made 30 days before travel, but can be made at any time of the year.

The department encourages PhD students to seek travel and research funding for the dissertation (from all possible sources) early in the program. PhD students may apply for a College of Arts and Sciences Dissertation Award after completing coursework. International Programs keeps a database of funding sources for international research; most sources are for faculty use, but often graduate students are eligible. PhD candidates may apply through the department for National Endowment for the Humanities Dissertation Grants in the fall (deadlines are posted). Applicants must be U.S. citizens in good standing and have their dissertation proposals approved. The College selects ten nominees from the humanities and forwards their applications to NEH.

Mini-grants are awarded by the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies on a competitive basis three times per year. OGAPS issues them to further graduate student research and to defray travel expenses for students presenting research at professional meetings. Graduate students may apply for consideration through submission of a research proposal by the OGAPS deadlines. Information is available from OGAPS.