Our office focuses on the support and guidance of undergraduate students as they create a plan for their academic pursuits while at Texas A&M and beyond. We work to provide undergraduates with information necessary to make decisions in alignment with their goals, while also helping students fulfill the requirements to attain their degree from Texas A&M.
All of our advising is taking place online for the Summer 2020 terms. We are utilizing appointments for all meetings at this time, so please refer to the Navigate website for our most up-to-date availability.
Current students can schedule appointments via the Navigate website or Navigate app. Appointments must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. However, if your schedule changes suddenly, you can cancel or reschedule your appointment; we simply ask for as much advance notice as is feasible.
If you would like to declare a major in Sociology, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with us after verifying you meet the requirements to change into Sociology.
If you would like to request the addition of a Sociology minor, please verify you meet the requirements to add a minor, then you can submit our online request form. We will review and respond to requests as quickly as possible.
Please email our office at SOCIadvising@tamu.edu with any general questions or requests you have.
Upcoming Dates & Deadlines to Know for Advising
- June 15: Q-drop deadline for Summer I courses (due before 5 pm)
- June 26: End of Summer I courses
- June 29:
- Summer I course exams
- June 30: Start of Summer II courses
- July 3:
- Add/drop ends for Summer II courses
- Summer I grades due
- End of Summer graduation regular fees
- July 4: Summer graduation late fee begins
- July 20:
- Q-drop deadline for Summer II courses (due before 5 pm)
- Summer graduate Degree Requirement Verification due (if transferring coursework from elsewhere to complete degree requirements)
- Online summer graduation application closes
- August 3:
- Summer graduate paper application deadline
- End of Summer II courses
- Fall 202o registration re-opens for continuing students (open add/drop, as long as holds are clear)
- August 6: Grades due for Summer degree candidates
- August 10: Summer II grades due
- August 12: Fall Graduation Application opens!
- August 28: Final summer degree candidate clearance deadline
Meeting with our Advisors
During advising meetings, our advisors can discuss a variety of topics with you including, but not limited to:
- Types of degrees you can earn in Sociology
- Adding a Sociology minor ; if you meet the requirements to add a minor, use our online form to request the minor
- Completing a double major or double degree
- Planning and preparing for graduation
- Completing your degree planner
- Reviewing your degree evaluation and planning out classes
- Adding Sociology coursework through individual contracts with faculty (SOCI 485, 491)
- Q-Dropping courses; if you are ready to q-drop a class, Sociology majors can complete our online Q-drop form to submit university paperwork and request.
- Making post-graduation plans
- Getting support