Our office focuses on the support and guidance of undergraduate students as they create a plan for their academic pursuits while at Texas A&M and beyond. We work to provide undergraduates with information necessary to make decisions in alignment with their goals, while also helping students fulfill the requirements to attain their degree from Texas A&M.
For our new incoming first-year and transfer students: please be sure to schedule your New Student Conference (NSC) as soon as you’re able. The second day of your conference will primarily be spent with us in Sociology advising to familiarize you with our academic requirements, the program and department, and to aid you with your first-semester registration. Please do not schedule an advising meeting with us prior to your NSC, as individual academic advising will be a part of your NSC experience.
Advising Office Hours
Monday thru Thursday: Morning, 9–11am, Drop Ins
- In person (Academic Building RM 205 or in LASB as noted below)
- Zoom (https://tamu.zoom.us/j/95633437581)
Monday thru Thursday: Afternoon, Appointments Only Via Navigate
- All appointments are in person (Academic Building RM 205 or in LASB as noted below)
All Monday and Thursday office hours will be in LASB 3rd floor (Bus 5 can take you there)
For drop-ins, please come in prepared with a list of questions and/or a schedule, as this is a peak time in our office. If you have not completed your degree planner, we can answer basic questions, but the meeting times will not be for planning the whole planner. We hosted several degree planner workshops to help students to complete this.
Current students can schedule appointments via the Navigate website or Navigate app. Appointments must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. However, if your schedule changes suddenly, you can cancel or reschedule your appointment; we simply ask for as much advance notice as is feasible. All appointments will be in person, we will not have the Zoom option.
If you would like to declare a major in Sociology, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with us after verifying you meet the major requirements to change into Sociology. You can submit your change of major request in Howdy prior to advising meetings.
If you would like to request the addition of a Sociology minor, please verify you meet the minor requirements to add a minor, then you can submit our online request form. We will review and respond to requests as quickly as possible.
If you are contacting an advisor to be forced into a course that is already full, please note: Sociology advisors will not over-enroll Sociology classes, and we can ONLY provide forces into Sociology courses.
*Please note: failure to attend 3 scheduled appointments in one term will result in the loss of access to appointment scheduling in Navigate (for any advisor) for the remainder of the term.*
Please email our office at SOCIadvising@tamu.edu with any general questions or requests you have.
Meeting with our Advisor
During advising meetings, our advisors can discuss a variety of topics with you including, but not limited to:
- Types of degrees you can earn in Sociology
- Adding a Sociology minor; if you meet the requirements to add a minor, use our online form to request the minor
- Completing a double major or double degree
- Planning and preparing for graduation
- Completing your degree planner
- Reviewing your degree evaluation and planning out classes
- Adding Sociology coursework through individual contracts with faculty (SOCI 485, 491)
- Q-Dropping courses; if you are ready to q-drop a class, Sociology majors can complete our Q-drop form to submit university paperwork and request
- Making post-graduation plans
- Getting support for challenges or concerns