Our office focuses on the support and guidance of undergraduate students as they create a plan for their academic pursuits while at Texas A&M and beyond. We work to provide undergraduates with information necessary to make decisions in alignment with their goals, while also helping students fulfill the requirements to attain their degree from Texas A&M.
For our new incoming first-year and transfer students: please be sure to schedule your New Student Conference (NSC) as soon as you’re able. The second day of your conference will primarily be spent with us in Sociology advising to familiarize you with our academic requirements, the program and department, and to aid you with Fall semester registration. Please do not schedule an advising meeting with us prior to your NSC, as individual academic advising will be a part of your NSC experience.
Office Hours (updated for Summer 2021)
Summer Advising Schedule (May 24 – July 31)
Due to the frequency and demands of New Student Conferences, our advising hours over the summer will be different.
|Morning Advising Hours
(9:00 – 11:30 am)
|Afternoon Advising Hours
(1:30 – 4:00 pm)
|Mondays||Virtual Drop-In Hours||Appointment Hours
Virtual Drop-In Hours
Virtual Drop-In Hours
|Virtual Drop-In Hours|
|Wednesdays through Fridays||No advising hours||No advising hours|
Virtual Drop-In Advising
These meetings will take place over Zoom.
Current Sociology majors have received the meeting link; non-majors can email a Sociology advisor to receive the meeting link.
Please sign in to these meetings prepared with your questions or concerns.
Current students can schedule appointments via the Navigate website or Navigate app. Appointments must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. However, if your schedule changes suddenly, you can cancel or reschedule your appointment; we simply ask for as much advance notice as is feasible.
If you would like to declare a major in Sociology, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with us after verifying you meet the requirements to change into Sociology.
If you would like to request the addition of a Sociology minor, please verify you meet the requirements to add a minor, then you can submit our online request form. We will review and respond to requests as quickly as possible.
If you are contacting an advisor to be forced into a course that is already full, please note: Sociology advisors will not over-enroll Sociology classes, and can ONLY provide forces into Sociology courses.
*Please note: failure to attend 3 scheduled appointments in one term will result in the loss of access to appointment scheduling in Navigate (for any advisor) for the remainder of the term.*
Please email our office at SOCIadvising@tamu.edu with any general questions or requests you have.
Upcoming Advising Dates & Deadlines to Know
- June 28: Undergraduate deadline to submit a request for change of curriculum.
- July 02: Last day of first summer term classes.
- July 05: Summer I term final examinations for all students.
- July 05: No 10-Week Semester Classes.
- July 05: 5 p.m., Last day to register for second term classes. Refer to Student Business Services for tuition and fee due dates.
- July 06: First day of second term classes. Refer to Student Business Services for the Refund Policy for Withdrawals and Dropped Courses.
- July 09: 12 p.m. (noon), First term final grades due to the Office of the Registrar. Grades will be available for viewing in Howdy after 5 p.m.
- July 09: 5 p.m., Last day for adding/dropping courses for the second term.
- July 09: Summer second term official census date.
- July 09: Last day to apply for all degrees to be awarded in August without a late fee.
- July 20 , 5 p.m.: Last day for all students to drop courses with no penalty (Q-drop) for the 10-week semester.
- July 20 , 5 p.m.: Last day to officially withdraw from the University for the 10-week semester.
- July 26 , 5 p.m.: Last day for all students to drop courses with no penalty (Q-drop) for the second term.
- July 26 , 5 p.m.: Last day to change KINE 198/199 Grade Type for the second term.
- July 26 , 5 p.m.: Last day to officially withdraw from the University for the second term.
- July 26 , 5 p.m.: Last day to apply for summer 2021 graduation online.
- July 26 , 5 p.m.: Degree Requirement Verification (DRV) deadline for Summer 2021 Degree Candidates per Student Rule 14.2
- August 09: Last day of second summer term and 10-week classes.
- August 09: Last day to apply for all degrees to be awarded in August.
- August 10 – August 11: Summer II term & 10-week final examinations for all students.
- August 12 , 12 p.m. (noon): Grades due for all degree candidates to the Office of the Registrar. Grades will be available for viewing in Howdy after 5 p.m.
- August 13, 5 p.m.: Last day for August undergraduate degree candidates to apply for Tuition Rebate in Howdy.
- August 13: Commencement and Commissioning – Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees in College Station.
- August 16 , 12 p.m. (noon): Final grades for second term and 10-week semester due to the Office of the Registrar. Grades will be available for viewing in Howdy after 5 p.m
Meeting with our Advisors
During advising meetings, our advisors can discuss a variety of topics with you including, but not limited to:
- Types of degrees you can earn in Sociology
- Adding a Sociology minor; if you meet the requirements to add a minor, use our online form to request the minor
- Completing a double major or double degree
- Planning and preparing for graduation
- Completing your degree planner
- Reviewing your degree evaluation and planning out classes
- Adding Sociology coursework through individual contracts with faculty (SOCI 485, 491)
- Q-Dropping courses; if you are ready to q-drop a class, Sociology majors can complete our online Q-drop form to submit university paperwork and request
- Making post-graduation plans
- Getting support for challenges or concerns