Our office focuses on the support and guidance of undergraduate students as they create a plan for their academic pursuits while at Texas A&M and beyond. We work to provide undergraduates with information necessary to make decisions in alignment with their goals, while also helping students fulfill the requirements to attain their degree from Texas A&M.
Office Hours (updated for Fall Semester 2020)
9:00 am – 11:30 am
1:30 pm – 4:00 pm
Virtual Drop-In Advising
These meetings will take place over Zoom.
Current Sociology majors received an email with a meeting link; non-majors can contact one of the Sociology advisors to receive the meeting link.
Please sign in to these meetings prepared with your questions or concerns.
Current students can schedule appointments via the Navigate website or Navigate app. Appointments must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. However, if your schedule changes suddenly, you can cancel or reschedule your appointment; we simply ask for as much advance notice as is feasible.
If you would like to declare a major in Sociology, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with us after verifying you meet the requirements to change into Sociology.
If you would like to request the addition of a Sociology minor, please verify you meet the requirements to add a minor, then you can submit our online request form. We will review and respond to requests as quickly as possible.
If you are contacting an advisor to be forced into a course that is already full, please note: Sociology advisors will not over-enroll Sociology classes, and can ONLY provide forces into Sociology courses.
*Please note: failure to attend 3 scheduled appointments in one term will result in the loss of access to appointment scheduling in Navigate (for any advisor) for the remainder of the term.*
Please email our office at SOCIadvising@tamu.edu with any general questions or requests you have.
Upcoming Advising Dates & Deadlines to Know
- September 15: Change of major deadline, Fall 2020
- September 18: Last day to apply for Fall graduation without late fee
- September 30: Undergraduate Degree Planner Deadline
- November 5 – November 18: Spring 2020 Pre-Registration
- November 10: Q-drop deadline
- November 10: Last day to change KINE 198/199 grade type
- November 10: Last day to withdraw from the University
- November 10: Degree verification deadline for Fall 2020 degree candidates
- November 24: Last day of Fall semester classes
- November 24: Lady day to apply for Fall 2020 graduation
- November 25: Reading Day (no classes)
- November 26 – 27: University Closed
- November 30: Reading Day (no classes)
- December 1 – 9: Fall 2020 Final Exams
Meeting with our Advisors
During advising meetings, our advisors can discuss a variety of topics with you including, but not limited to:
- Types of degrees you can earn in Sociology
- Adding a Sociology minor; if you meet the requirements to add a minor, use our online form to request the minor
- Completing a double major or double degree
- Planning and preparing for graduation
- Completing your degree planner
- Reviewing your degree evaluation and planning out classes
- Adding Sociology coursework through individual contracts with faculty (SOCI 485, 491)
- Q-Dropping courses; if you are ready to q-drop a class, Sociology majors can complete our online Q-drop form to submit university paperwork and request
- Making post-graduation plans
- Getting support for challenges or concerns