History of the Department
Since 1876, when “Languages and Literature” appeared among the initial courses of study at what was then called the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas, the study of languages and literatures in English has been part of Texas A&M’s history. Over time, as the English Department’s areas of emphasis grew and changes, we led the way in exploring new research programs. A department working group, the Interdisciplinary Group for Historical Literary Studies, eventually was transformed into what is now the Melbern G. Glasscock Center for Humanities Research. Similarly, the English Department’s Writing Center supplied the foundation for the current University Writing Center.
The College of Liberal Arts’ program in Women and Gender Studies emerged from English, and the programs in Film, Africana Studies, and Digital Humanities relied heavily upon the Department in their formative stages through the present day. In 2011, construction began on the new Liberal Arts and Arts & Humanities Building, a state-of-the-art structure were our Department is currently housed.