- Areas of Speciality
- Popular Culture
- Digital Humanities
- Composition, Rhetoric and Discourse Studies
- (979) 862-3556
- LAAH 417
- Professional Links
Ph.D., Pennsylvania State University, 2012
M.A., Pennsylvania State University, 2007
B.S., Georgia Institute of Technology, 2005
Honors and Awards
2017 Science Fiction and Technoculture Studies Book Prize for Transhumanism
Transhumanism: Evolutionary Futurism and the Human Technologies of Utopia. The University of Minnesota Press, 2017.
Exploring the rich history and utopian potential of transhumanism’s belief that humanity is on the cusp of radical evolutionary transformation .
Andrew Pilsch argues that transhumanism’s utopian rhetoric actively imagines radical new futures for the species and its habitat. Pilsch situates contemporary transhumanism within the longer history of a rhetorical mode he calls “evolutionary futurism” that unifies diverse texts, philosophies, and theories of science and technology that anticipate a radical explosion in humanity’s cognitive, physical, and cultural potentialities.
- “The Ethos of Mr. Robot.” Present Tense 7.1 (2018): n.p.
- “Invoking Darkness: Skotison, Scalar Derangement, and Inhuman Rhetoric.” Philosophy and Rhetoric 50.3 (2017): 336-355.
- “Insect Capital.” New American Notes Online (NANO) 8 (2015).
- “Self-Help Supermen: The Politics of Fan Utopias in World War II-Era Science Fiction.” Science Fiction Studies 41.3 (2014): 524-542.