- Areas of Speciality
- Gender Studies
- American Literature and Culture
- Creative Writing
- Material Culture Studies
- (979) 845-8350
- LAAH 529
- Professional Links
Ph.D., University of Delaware, 1996
M.A., State University of New York at Binghamton, 1990
B.A., State University of New York at Binghamton, 1988
- Creative Nonfiction
- Medical Humanities
- Material Culture and Museum Studies
- Book Arts
- Women’s Memoir
Honors and Awards
- 2017 Annie Dillard Award in Creative Nonfiction, The Bellingham Review
- Ragdale, Residency (Summer 2017)
- Vermont Studio Center, Residency (August 2014)
- Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, Residency (July 2012)
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Grant, The Huntington Library, $2,000 (June 2000)
- NEH Fellowship, Winterthur Museum, Garden, & Library, $10,000 (Fall 1999)
Stabile, Susan M. Memory’s Daughter. 2004
A renowned literary coterie in eighteenth-century Philadelphia―Elizabeth Fergusson, Hannah Griffitts, Deborah Logan, Annis Stockton, and Susanna Wright―wrote and exchanged thousands of poems and maintained elaborate handwritten commonplace books of memorabilia. Through their creativity and celebrated hospitality, they initiated a salon culture in their great country houses in the Delaware Valley. In this stunningly original and heavily illustrated book, Susan M. Stabile shows that these female writers sought to memorialize their lives and aesthetic experience―a purpose that stands in marked contrast to the civic concerns of male authors in the republican era.
- “Mustard,” The Bellingham Review 76 (Spring 2018): 9-16 (winner of 2017 Annie Dillard Award in Creative Nonfiction)
- “Fracture,” The Iowa Review (forthcoming, 2018)
- “Bestiary,” The Iowa Review 2 (2014): 146-59 (selected as “Notable Essays and Literary Nonfiction of 2004” in Best American Essays Ariel Levy and Robert Atwan [ 2005])
- “Dimenticami,” Southwest Review, 96.1 (2011): 83-98.
- “Epitaffio,” Words, ed. Luisa Menazzi Moretti (Naples, Italy: Arte’m Press, 2013), 53 (flash nonfiction, invited & refereed)
- “Manuscripts, Manufacts, and Social Authorship,” Blackwell Companion to American Literature. Vol.1. ed. Theresa Stouth Gaul (Wiley-Blackwell, forthcoming 2017) (invited and refereed).
- “Architectures of Revision,” Assay: A Journal of Nonfiction Studies (forthcoming, Spring 2019)
- “Biography of a Box: Material Culture and Palimpsest Memory,” History and Memory, ed. Joan Tumblety (Routledge, 2013), 194-211 (invited and refereed).
- “Tell-Tale Heart: Organ Donation and Transplanted Subjectivities,” Biography: An Interdisciplinary Quarterly 34.1 (2011): 132-140 (refereed).
- “Still(ed) Lives,” in special joint edition of Early American Literature 45.2 (2010): 71-95 and American Literary History 22.2 (2010): 390-412 (invited and refereed)
- “Female Curiosities: The Transatlantic Commonplace Book,” in Reading Women: Literacy, Authorship, and Culture in the Atlantic World, 1500-1800, eds. Cathy Kelly and Heidi Brayman Hackel, (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2008), 217-43 (invited and refereed).