Michael Cotton – July 2018

Texas A&M Department of Economics Amazing Student

July, 2018

cottonName: Michael Cotton

Hometown: Katy, TX

High School: Cinco Ranch HS

Degree objective: BS Economics

Expected graduation: August 2018

University highlights, awards, scholarships: TAMU Judge Marvin Jones Scholarship, Conference USA All-Academic Golf Team, 2015-2016 2015 Texas Amateur Champion, Conference USA All-Freshman Golf Team 2014-2015

Current employment: Good Bull Parking

Family ties to Texas A&M: Mother- Deanna Gooding Cotton- 1990; Father- Steve Cotton- 1991

I chose to attend Texas A&M because…  Upon completion of my golf career, I wanted to attend a school with high level sports, the school of my childhood dreams, and obtain a degree from one of the best universities in the world.

My favorite things to do on campus are… My favorite thing to do on campus would have to be going to watch the Fighting Texas Aggie football team at Kyle Field.

When I have free time, I like… When I have free time I enjoy golfing, working out, and hunting various Texas game species.

The craziest thing I’ve done is…  The craziest thing I’ve done would have to be living out of my truck for multiple days just to get the duck hunting spot that me and my buddies had scouted. I feel like many people wouldn’t go to that extent just to shoot some ducks but during duck season it’s a regular occurrence for my buddies and me.

My favorite place to study is… My favorite place to study is at my house. I like the accessibility of food and drinks and I can also hang out with my dog at the same time.

My favorite ECON professor is…  Professor Lenz. I had Professor Lenz for Econometrics 461 and again this summer for ECON 465 (Contemporary Economic Issues). I like Professor Lenz because he engages the class, makes us laugh, and applies what we learn in class to current events.

My favorite part of being an Economics student is…  Being able to see economic theory in daily life. What we learn in Economics is applicable in many aspects of our lives.

If I could share an afternoon with anyone, I would love to share it with… Tiger Woods. With my golfing background and my love for Lhe game I could learn so much picking Tiger’s brain and watching him in his environment.

If I knew I could not fail, I would… Play professional golf. 15 years of my life was spent chasing the dream of being a professional golfer and to not see that come to fruition was disappointing. I feel as though I’m getting into the next best thing by coaching, though.

If money was not a consideration, I would love to… Hunt across North America. I would love to chase sheep and moose in Alaska, bears and caribou in Canada, shoot ducks in the plains of the Midwest, and even hunt the exotics in Texas. If money was not a factor, I could spend day after day field hunting.

What is your passion and how are you committed to pursuing it? My passion is golf. I am committed to pursuing it. I have taken a job as a graduate assistant coach for a college program. Upon completion of that experience, I will hopefully continue coaching and come back lo Texas A&M lo be the Men’s Golf coach in the distant future!

After graduation, I plan to… Be the Graduate Assistant Men’s Golf coach at South Alabama and obtain my MS in Sports Management.

The one Texas A&M experience I will always remember is… l haven’t done it yet but the one thing I will remember most is walking across the stage and getting my degree from my dream school.