M.S. Application and Admissions
The Department of Economics at Texas A&M University engages a holistic application review process to make admission decisions. As such, all applications are reviewed by the Graduate MS ECON Admissions Committee of the department. This review process examines all application materials for indicators of success, which include evidence of academic merit and achievement as well as evidence of perseverance and “grit” (skills related to overcoming adversity, problem solving, time management, etc.). The are no minimum GPA requirements for admission, but on average the admitted students have a 3.5 GPA.
Each applicant is considered for financial support in the form of a scholarship or fellowship (unless otherwise indicated in the application (Applicants applying after the deadline may find that funding resources have been expended, and/or all available slots for the upcoming year have been filled).
The Department of Economics admits students each fall semester. Application deadlines are as follows:
- February 1 for Fall Admission
- October 15 for Spring Admission
How to Apply
Graduate applicants should review the links below to gain more information on how to apply.
Graduate Resident Applicants: http://admissions.tamu.edu/graduate
Graduate International Applicants: http://admissions.tamu.edu/international/graduate
- Application. Submit application through the TAMU Graduate CAS system. After an applicant submits an application, they will receive an acknowledgement and a UIN. With the UIN, they can log into the CAS System to check the status of the application. Applicants should follow directions for submission of all materials provided in this application portal.
- Three Letters of Recommendation. Submit letter of recommendation requests through the CAS system. Letter writers should not mail letters; they will be asked to upload the letters into this system.
- Official Transcripts. Submit official transcripts from every college/university attended. Transcripts issued in a language other than English must be accompanied by an official English translation. Transcripts MUST be sent by the degree-granting institution for admission.
International Applicants from China: If you are admitted, you will need to provide transcripts verified by the China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center (CHESSIC) and degree certificates verified by the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC).
- Official Test Scores: The Economics Department is waiving the GRE for Spring 2022 and Fall 2022.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE): The Economics Department is waiving the GRE for Spring 2022 and Fall 2022 admission.
TOEFL/IELTS (International applicants only): Applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit proof of English proficiency to be eligible for review. English proficiency can be demonstrated by one of the criteria below.
- a minimum TOEFL score (from a test date within two years) of: 550 for paper-based testing (p-BT) or 80 internet-based testing (i-BT), or:
- a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 overall band,
- a minimum PTE Academic score of 53,
- a GRE Verbal Reasoning score of at least 146
These scores should be sent directly from the testing service and self-reported in the CAS system. These scores must be from a test date within two years of the date requested admission (e.g., Fall 2020). For more information on test dates and locations, please visit www.ets.org/toefl and/or https://www.ielts.org. Institution code for Texas A&M University: 6003.
- Statement of Purpose. A 500-750 word essay that details the applicant’s objectives for the graduate program, research interests, fit with the program and experiences that will enable success. Applicants are encouraged to identify graduate faculty members with which they are interested in working.
- Writing Sample: This is ONLY required for PhD ECON applicants. If you are applying to the MS ECON degree program, you are not required to submit a writing sample.
- Current Resume. All applicants are required to submit an updated resume.
For questions about the application process, contact Margaret Lomas Carpenter, Program Manager for the MS Economics degree.
Application Review Process
Review of applications begins in early January. If at any time an applicant has a question about their status of application, please contact, Margaret Lomas Carpenter, Program Manager.
Note to International Applicants
International applicants are competitively evaluated on the same academic criteria for admission and financial awards. In addition, the Graduate MS ECON Admissions Committee will seek demonstration of proficiency of written and spoken English language skills for students whose first language is not English. Additionally, Texas A&M University’s Admissions Office will NOT admit an international student if they have not received official English Proficiency scores directly from the testing center, regardless if the Department of Economics has admitted an applicant. For more information on these requirements, please visit the Admissions Office on proof of English proficiency.