Brandon Walker – September 2018

Texas A&M Department of Economics Amazing Student

September, 2018

walkerName: Brandon Walker

Hometown: Round Rock, TX

High School: Rouse HS

Degree objective: Double Major in Economics and Statistics. I am considering a Master’s in Data Science

Expected graduation: May 2019

University highlights, awards, scholarships: Fourth place at the Texas A&M Institute of Data Science Competition, Philipps 66 SHIELD Scholar, Dept. of Economics Neal Hahn Scholarship Cornerstone Honors

Clubs/Organizations I am (was) a part of: University Honors, Brazos County Deputy Voter Registrars, various Hackathons.

Current employment: Tutor at Texas A&M Academic Success Center. ECON 203 Supplemental Instructor. Peer Teacher for MATH 150. Intern at the College Station Police Department. Forecasting and Econometric Analyst Intern at CNH Industrial.

Family ties to Texas A&M: My dad is an Aggie, my mom’s brother is an Aggie. My great grandfather went here for about 1 week in the 1930s, decided he didn’t like it and hitchhiked home to Colorado, arriving there before his parents who had dropped him off in College Station.

I chose to attend Texas A&M because… I have a lot of good memories here as a child so I felt very comfortable here. Additionally, I felt always felt like everyone at A&M wanted me to be here.

My favorite things to do on campus are… Go to the new university gardens and go to football games.

When I have free time, I like… To do trivia, run, golf, and play football

The craziest thing I’ve done is…  Go Jamaican bobsledding in Jamaica

My favorite place to study is… The 9th and 10th floors of Rudder Tower

My favorite ECON professor is…  Dr. Regan Petrie

My favorite part of being an Economics student is…  Being able to ask any question of my professors at any time. They have all been very accessible.

If I could share an afternoon with anyone, I would love to share it with… President Obama

If I knew I could not fail, I would… Run for a seat in the House of Representatives

If money was not a consideration, I would love to… Start my own business

What is your passion and how are you committed to pursuing it? Data Science, I spend about an hour learning online through coursera, lynda.com youtube, or udemy, and I enter competitions to use these skills.

After graduation, I plan to… Get a job in Data Science

The one Texas A&M experience I will always remember is… Helping other Aggies learn through my experience as a tutor/supplemental instructor/peer teacher.