Amazing Student – Mauricio De La Garza

Texas A&M Department of Economics Amazing Student
February, 2022

Name:

Mauricio De La Garza

Hometown:

Cedar Park, TX

High School:

Cedar Park High School

Degree objective:

MS in Economics & BS in Economics

Expected graduation:

May, 2022

University highlights, awards, scholarships:

I received the Remarkable Future Leadership Scholarship from Chick-fil-a as a part-time employee and full-time student. Additionally, I was honored to receive the Dean’s List recognition for one semester.

Clubs/Organizations I am (was) a part of:

I am involved in Young Life where I served as a High School Leader and now serve as a College Leader. I also served in Global Peer Mentors as a mentor to incoming exchange students.

Current employment:

I currently work as a tutor at a local high school, and I am a graduate teaching assistant in the Department of Economics.

Family ties to Texas A&M:

My grandfather is a Class of ’68 Aggie and my brother is Class of 2024 Aggie.

I chose to attend Texas A&M because…

My grandfather came here, and my father was born in Bryan, Texas. I thought it was a great choice to be near my parents but in a college town two hours away from them. I heard great things about the culture and traditions which made the university even more attractive to me.

My favorite things to do on campus are…

I enjoy riding the Veoride scooters around at night. I also like to hang out at the MSC from time to time.

When I have free time, I like…

When I have free time, I like to play and watch numerous sports. I also enjoy being outdoors, watching movies, and listening to books.

The craziest thing I’ve done is…

When I was on a road trip with friends at Big Bend National Park, we encountered a family of black bears early in the morning. Instead of running away, I decided to get near one of them and take a picture. We were about 5 yards apart and equally as scared as one another.

My favorite place to study is…

I like places where I can study but that are not in absolute silence. Therefore, some sections of the Annex and West Campus Library are my ideal places to study.

My favorite ECON professor is…

Dr. Schulman is a brilliant person and an even better lecturer. He strives to challenge his students with his lessons. He values his students’ curiosity and work ethic. Not only did he help me with his classes, but he also provided great advice for another course.

My favorite part of being an Economics student is…

The excellent resources and aid provided to the students. The faculty constantly innovates teaching methodologies which allow students to succeed and learn valuable skills for future careers.

If I could share an afternoon with anyone, I would love to share it with…

My roommates, girlfriend, and family! I became very close to my roommates since we started living together three years ago. I always have a great time being with my girlfriend. Lastly, I value family integrity and enjoy being around my family.

If I knew I could not fail, I would…

I would dedicate my time to Alzheimer’s research. My grandmother died from Alzheimer’s and finding the cure would benefit and save millions of lives.

If money was not a consideration, I would love to…

I would love to start non-profit organizations to aid several causes. I would help fight against human trafficking, educate citizens on the importance of a nuclear family, and provide public education in developing countries.

What is your passion and how are you committed to pursuing it?

One of my passions is to help people. I find fulfillment in helping people achieve their personal, financial, and professional goals. I am committed to pursuing that by the fruits of my labor and developing long-lasting relationships.

After graduation, I plan to…

I will be joining JP Morgan Private Bank as an analyst in their Fort Worth office.

The one Texas A&M experience I will always remember is…

When we beat Alabama in football. It was a much-anticipated game that turned out to be an exceptional experience. The Aggies won by a game-winning field goal at the end of the fourth quarter.