Amazing Student – Brooke Hansen

Texas A&M Department of Economics Amazing Student
March, 2022

Name:

Brooke Hansen

Hometown:

Bulverde, TX

High School:

Homeschooled

Degree objective:

B.S. Economics / Minor in Philosophy

Expected graduation:

May 2022

University highlights, awards, scholarships:

3-Time Parliamentary Debate Champion -> 1st place 2019, 2nd place in 2022 and 2018; Current Speech & Debate Captain; Outstanding Attorney Award in 2018; Dean’s List 2018-2022.

Clubs/Organizations I am (was) a part of:

TAMU Speech & Debate (<-only club currently), Pre-Law Society, MSC OPAS, TAMU Mock Trial (<-past)

Current employment:

None

Family ties to Texas A&M:

All 3 of my siblings go/went to A&M. My oldest sister who studied finance and now works for Meta. My older brother who studied history and works at Nift. My little brother is currently my roommate and he studies Economics, too!

I chose to attend Texas A&M because…

My older sister went here. She is my role model, so I naturally followed in her footsteps. Once I enrolled at A&M, I discovered how right she was about the University. People at A&M really are nicer! The school also has amazing professors. I’ve learned so much from the Economics and Math departments, and I’m so grateful I chose A&M.

My favorite things to do on campus are…

My favorite thing to do on campus is meet with my friends from the Speech & Debate team to study! I also love getting Starbucks at Evans, as well as listening to others play the piano in the MSC!

When I have free time, I like…

In my free time, I practice singing! Singing has always been a passion of mine, and I’m always trying to improve. I enjoy singing contemporary music as well as rock! I practice by singing scales and practicing alongside accompaniment or my guitar!

The craziest thing I’ve done is…

Scuba diving with a fear of water!

My favorite place to study is…

4th Floor of Evan’s Library!

My favorite ECON professor is…

Chelsea Temple, Nataliya Pakhotina, and Georges Naufal are 3 of my favorite Economics professors.

My favorite part of being an Economics student is…

I get to use math to analyze real-life situations that impact others!

If I could share an afternoon with anyone, I would love to share it with…

My cat, Bean.

If I knew I could not fail, I would…

Become an astronaut!

If money was not a consideration, I would love to…

Solve world hunger!

What is your passion and how are you committed to pursuing it?

I’m passionate about growing in my knowledge. I believe knowledge is power, and the ability to learn is one of the most valuable abilities a person has! I enjoy going to my classes, learning more about economics, philosophy, music, singing, literature, and even bugs (Entomology 322 is a great class!). I am committed to growing in knowledge by doing these things, and simply by listening to others! My mom told me growing up, “someone always knows something you don’t.” That was great advice, and I believe it’s helped me learn and grow through my life.

After graduation, I plan to…

Work for S&P Global Platts analyzing commodity markets and reporting on national and global changes in prices.

The one Texas A&M experience I will always remember is…

Silver Taps. Silver Taps is an event that I will never forget. The service is a necessary way to honor others. Since then, I have always tried to do my best to think of and remember my fellow Aggies.