Change of Major to PSYC or NRSC-BCN
Major Changes within the Texas A&M System (College Station, Galveston, and Qatar)
THE DEADLINES TO SUBMIT APPLICATIONS ARE STILL ENFORCED. SEE BELOW:
Major change requests are now handled through your Howdy portal
- Go to your Howdy portal and click on the My Record tab
- Navigate to the Change of Major Requests box
- Click on the Change of Major Tutorial link to learn how to check eligibility and submit your request
- GPA to change major to PSYC is a 2.75
- GPA to change major to NRSC-BCN is a 3.0
- All September 2022-February 2023 applicants will be placed in the Fall 2022 catalog (CATALOG 145)
Upcoming Major Change Dates:
- Spring 2023: December 20, 2022 – February 13, 2023
- Summer 2023: May 16th, 2023 – June 27th, 2023
APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED IN DECEMBER WILL BE REVIEWED BEGINNING JAN 4, 2023.
APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE REVIEWED OVER THE WINTER BREAK.
Major Change to PSYC-BA or PSYC-BS (Continuing Students)
If you are applying to change majors into Psychology, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have no more than 75 completed hours (grades included: F; grades excluded: I, W, Q)
- Minimum 2.75 overall GPR
- Completion of PBSI/PSYC 107 with a minimum grade of C
- Completion of PBSI/PSYC 245 (PSYC 2317) with a minimum grade of C or better
- Please note: If you plan to take PBSI 245 at Texas A&M during Spring 2023, registration for this course will only be available to current PSYC majors during pre-registration (November 3-16). The course will become available to ALL majors during open registration (November 21st).
Major Change to NRSC-BCN (Continuing Students)
If you are applying to change majors into Neuroscience – BCN, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have no more than 60 completed hours (grades included: F; grades excluded: I, W, Q)
- Minimum 3.0 overall GPR
- Completion of PBSI/PSYC 107
- Completion of at least one of the following math courses: MATH 147, MATH 151 (TCCNS MATH 2413), or MATH 171
- Completion of BIOL 111 (TCCNS BIOL 1406) and BIOL 112 (TCCNS BIOL 1407)
- Completion of CHEM 119 (TCCNS CHEM 1411) or CHEM 107/117 (TCCNS CHEM 1470) and CHEM 120 (TCCNS CHEM 1412)
- B or better is required for ALL prerequisite courses
- Students are HIGHLY encouraged to take prerequisites at TAMU
- If all required courses are completed through credit by exam, change of major will require a 3.0 in 6-8 hrs of science courses
Adding a Minor to the BS – NRSC (BCN) Degree
- CANNOT add a minor in PSYC to any of the NRSC degrees
- A non-neuroscience minor (with the exception of PSYC) is optional for majors. If chosen, a minor must consist of 15–18 credit hours and must be declared before the student completes 90 credit hours. No more than 6 hours from the minor may be used to fulfill other Core requirements. A grade of C or higher is required if a course is to be counted in the major or minor field.
For more information, contact the advising office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prospective Transfer Students (from another college or university)
*Beginning Spring 2024: PBSI 245 (TCCN: PSYC 2317) will be REQUIRED for transfer student admission for BS/BA-PSYC*
(Must earn a B or better)
- Bachelor of Arts in PSYC Degree Plan
- Bachelor of Science in PSYC Degree Plan
- Bachelor of Science in Neuroscience-BCN Degree Plan
- Transfer Guide – Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Transfer Guide – Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Transfer Guide – Bachelor of Science in Neuroscience-BCN
Go to Admissions to start to the process. Also, please visit with one of Texas A&M’s Prospective Student Centers. You may also set up a tour of the Texas A&M campus by contacting the Visitor’s Center.