The Department of Communication advises each COMM and each TCMS major to engage in international educational experiences. These may include short visits to other countries, internships and service learning overseas but the most usual option is to study abroad. Communication is pro-study abroad!
Why study abroad?
A key factor in careers is global leadership in commerce and trade, education, cultural exchange, diplomacy, and political, religious and social pursuits. Study Abroad is a broadening experience and the world is bigger than Texas! Enhance career options and develop marketable skills including:
- International and intercultural communication skills with clients and partners
- Foreign language proficiency
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Comfort with travel
- Navigating new environments
Where to study abroad?
The University features several styles of study abroad experiences. These include faculty-led programs, reciprocal exchange programs, and direct enrollment programs. The Academic Advisors in Communication can help you determine the right option for you. Study Abroad lists hundreds and hundreds of programs in locations all over the world that are great options for Communication, Telecommunication Media Studies and Journalism Studies students.
These programs highlight a particular region or area of study and draw upon the unique skills and insights of faculty members. Texas A&M faculty oversee every aspect of these programs. In the case of COMM to Italy, Communication faculty members lead a group of COMM and TCMS majors and COMM minors.
- Faculty-led program to Siena in the Tuscany region of Italy. Siena link, education abroad link
- Ireland Political Communication: Faculty-led program to Galway and Dublin, Ireland in Summer 2019 for the month of June. Study abroad link
- Rhetoric in the Italian Renaissance: Faculty-led program to Florence, Italy, in Winter 2019 for the 1st two weeks in January. Study abroad link
See the Study Abroad website for other Faculty-Led programs open to COMM and TCMS majors.
RECIPROCAL EXCHANGE PROGRAMS (REEP)
Texas A&M maintains a diverse global network of institutions who “exchange” students each semester. Texas A&M students pay only their Texas A&M tuition and fees, enroll directly in the foreign institution, and do not pay any tuition or fees to the host university (with the exception of local housing/boarding costs.) The costs of these programs are among the lowest of study abroad options. In many cases, courses are taught in English, but in others, foreign language proficiency is required. The Department of Communication features a REEP to Barcelona, Spain.
- Barcelona Oliba Abat: Reciprocal Exchange program to this media-oriented school in an ocean-side destination. Students are heading to Barcelona each and every semester.
A partial list of additional Communication and Media related REEP opportunities include:
- National University of Singapore
- University of Adelaide (Australia)
- Victoria University of Wellington (New Zealand)
- University of Nottingham (UK)
See the Study Abroad website for additional REEPs open to COMM and TCMS majors.
DEPARTMENT SUPERVISED DIRECT ENROLLMENT PROGRAMS
The Department of Communication has developed a network of global universities with strong communication programs, and our faculty have personal ties with these institutions. Students can enroll directly in these overseas institutions, and be assured that their courses will be accepted by Texas A&M as fulfilling departmental requirements. Tuition and other fees are payable to the host institution. These programs will normally require a stay of a semester abroad, and the course content is offered in English.
- Nanyang Technological University (Singapore)
- Copenhagen School of Business (Denmark)
- Texas A&M Qatar/Northwestern University (Qatar)
- London School of Economics (UK)
- Tsinghua University, School of International Communication (China)
See the Study Abroad website for additional Study Abroad programs open to COMM and TCMS majors.
How do you get started?